Hawaiian Dive Boat
.... Go back to Part 1: My First Scuba Diving Vacation
Back to our first diving trip off the Big Island on a tourist dive boat. On shore, the crew confirmed that we had all the necessary equipment. The dive company was supplying any equipment that we did not have. None of the tourists on the trip had brought any equipment of their own besides masks and fins, so all of us had to be fitted with oxygen tanks, breathing regulators, vests, and weight belts. Since this equipment was pretty heavy, we did not bother with it until we were on the boat and out near the dive site. It took about a half hour for the boat to arrive at the dive site and to set the anchor.
We looked down at an extensive coral reef that they told us was twenty five to thirty feet deep and seemed to stretch of several acres. Clearly we never could have gotten close to see this reef snorkeling. It was not because we were anchored at least several hundred yards of the shoreline, it was the sheer depth. While twenty five or so feet of water is not a lot for an experienced diver, it is about as deep as a novice should try on their first dive or dives.
While this does not seem like much depth, for about each fifteen feet of water you increase the pressure by about another atmosphere. So the pressure of all the atmosphere above you, when you are standing on the shore at sea level gets doubled when you go down about fifteen feet. If you go down another fifteen feet you add another atmosphere of pressure to the situation. It is like fifteen feet of water weighs about as much as all the miles of air above you on dry land at the shore. This turns out to be pretty important to safety when you are diving as Tina, in particular, found out.
All of us novice tourist divers were on deck listening to the crew tell us about what to expect and how to react if they had a problem. About 10 of us would be diving in addition to the three crew members who would be diving down with us to watch over things. We were told several things to pay attention to. The first had little to do with diving safety, but had more to do with the quality of our experience. They said that while with snorkeling it was often suggested that you spit on the interior of your mask and rub it around to ensure that your mask would not fog up, this would not necessarily be a reliable method for diving. While it could work for many, when the spit on the lenses method fails while snorkeling all you need to do is to get your head out of the water and spit again. This does not work thirty feet down.
There are ways to let water into your mask to clear the fog and then use your nostrils and air from the tank to clear the water from your mask by doing a scuba mask purge. While this is a technique that all divers learn, it is not something they wanted to have us complete novices try at thirty feet. It works and it is reliable, but water in a mask and an inexperienced diver could lead to panic at 30 feet of depth. Instead, they had a formulation of liquid to use to cut the fogging of your dive mask lenses. We each took a few drops on each lens and rubbed it around and nobody had any diving mask fogging problems that day. By the way, there are some home made recipes that you can find on the internet about how to use diluted clear dishwashing liquid or other alternatives to pre place good old saliva, but I have never bothered to find them. The reason is that I bought a small bottle of lens clearing fluid called No-Fog Goop from Snorkel Bob’s in Hawaii.
Snorkel Bob’s was this chain of dive shops and Snorkel Bob’s had these ubiquitous small advertising signs all over that show a shark mouth. These ever present advertising signs were pretty stupid looking, but there were some many of them that we got to chanting Snorkel Bob, whenever we saw the signs as we drove around. Well, at least Steven and I did. Tabatha and Tina tied of this game after the first day, but since women apparently are smarter than men, Steven and I kept it up for the whole trip. Anyway, the reason why I never got around to making some myself is that this Snorkel Bob’s No-Fog Goop has lasted twenty years and I still have a third of this small bottle left. And, it not as if I do not use it. I have a pool and a couple of kids and we use it on our goggles whenever we swim in the summer. The trick to conserving this anti-fog dive mask fluid is simple. Keep it up high on a shelf in the kitchen, so that the kids cannot reach it. If I let the munchkins dispense it, it would have been gone in one summer.
<< Go back to Part 1: My First Scuba Diving Vacation
Snorkeling and Scuba Diving
- 27- Safety and Life Saving Devices — the Titanic Disaster (Wireless telegraphy--Water-tight bulkheads--Submarine signals-- Life-boats and rafts--Nixon's pontoon--Life-preservers and buoys--Rockets.
Chapter 27 -- Sinking of the Titanic and Great Sea Disasters -- Logan Marshall (1912)
The fact that there are any survivors of the Titanic left to tell the story of the terrible catastrophe is only another of the hundreds of instances on record of the [...])
- Boat Anchor Windlass (utilizing the supremacy of an anchor windlass in the most transportable technique is extremely very major for those who appreciate the exigency of availing this gadget. However, they are also alert to the case that the boat anchors one is mostly suitable as there is always a threat of being stressed due to the technical [...])
- Scuba Diving Bali (What is usually a extra adventurous and fulfilling scuba diving trip expertise than live aboard luxury yacht cruising and scuba diving within the tropical islands of Bali? Contrary to what many scuba divers assume, live aboard scuba diving may not be as costly as you think. In fact if deliberate properly, stay on board diving [...])
- Pontoon Boat (Discount Pontoon Fishing Boats
If you pick any Pontoon Fishing Boat picture here, this action will open an additional page which has informative product information to acquire these very attractive pontoon fishing boats and fly fishing pontoon boats. We appreciate your patronage at our Discount Boats, Boat Parts, and Boating Equipment online shop. We assist in [...])
- Snorkel Set (As you choose a Snorkel Sets picture here, you will automatically go to a different web page that contains interesting details about how to buy these discounted plus attractive snorkeling equipment sets goods. We appreciate your patronage at our Discount Scuba Diving Equipment and Snorkeling Gear store salesroom. Here you can locate easily the snorkel [...])
- Mares Scuba Regulator (Buy Discount Mares Scuba Regulators
As you choose a Mares Scuba Regulators photo lower down, you will automatically go to a different webpage with informative product information to enable you to determine, if you need to purchase these discounted and excellent quality Mares dive regulator, diving regulator, or scuba diving regulator inventory specials.
Thank you for visiting [...])
- Black Dive Mask (Get Discounted Black Scuba Masks
After picking a Black Scuba Masks photograph underneath, this action will open another webpage which contains interesting details to help you to figure out, if you want to buy these discount priced and excellent quality black scuba mask, snorkeling mask, or black face mask products.
We appreciate your patronage at our Discount [...])
- Russian Diver Watch (The original Russian diver watch was created for it is elite military divers within the Russian Special Forces. These divers, called Diversants, required a watch that fit around their suits, could withstand extreme amounts of pressure, and be study in decreased light and murky conditions. This now collectible watch was produced under the order from [...])
- Waterproof Dive Watch (For divers who are not utilizing a scuba dive computer to handle their nitrogen levels, it's critical to utilize dive tables to hold monitor of downtime. To be able to work with these tables successfully, a dive watch is needed. How's a dive watch totally different from an ordinary wristwatch? Two points make it stand [...])
- Scuba Course (Scuba diving stands for Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus, is 1 of one of the most well-known under-water diving sporting activities. Scuba diving may be performed for many causes each individual and expert. There are different styles of Scuba diving such as cave diving, wreck diving, ice diving, deep diving, underwater photography and additional. Consider [...])
- Jobe Life Vest (Get Bargain Jobe Life Vests
After you select a Jobe Life Vests photo underneath, this action will open another webpage that has useful information to allow you to decide, if you would like to purchase these discount priced and excellent quality Jobe life vest sales deals.
Welcome to our Discount Marine, Water, & Boat Safety Equipment preview [...])
- Rip Curl Wetsuit (Anyone who is regularly doing water sports or diving for long periods in water faces the difficulty of staying warm. If your body doesn't have any protection you won't last long in ocean temperatures. With huge improvements in technology over the past 5 years wetsuits have made great strides in functionality. As this technology advanced [...])
- Raymarine GPS (The Raymarine A57D is probably the most advanced and sophisticated navigation systems presently offered out there. Together with the built-in smart and intelligent fish finder know-how as well as a hardy construction which will withstand any sort of climate, the Raymarine A57D provides you excellent worth to your funds. This helps make it the ideal [...])
- Sailing Gloves (Whether you are a veteran sailor preparing for another adventure out on the sea, or a novice beginning to tread out onto the water, there are key sailing items that benefit every sailor. First and foremost, protection from weather conditions is imperative when spending hours under the harsh rays of the sun. To shield oneself [...])
- Scuba Diving Vacation (When you're under the waves, the world can seem a very different place. Excepting the possibility of catchy, irritating songs orchestrated by cartoon crabs, life under the sea is a remarkable experience, especially as it so ably inverts everything we know about a place when we're above the waves. A 'desert island' getaway like the [...])
- Hawaii Scuba Diving (Scuba diving is one of the most fun things you can do in Hawaii. There are numerous diving companies to help you and a wealth of diving sites in and around Hawaii. All you have to do is open yourself up to the possibilities of fun and diving adventure.
Why dive in Hawaii?
The fact of the matter [...])
- AIS Receiver (So, you may be wondering what marine electronics you need to sustain a safe and efficient operating craft.Having the proper boating electronics can not only help your fishing and cruising expeditions but can also prevent calamity and tragedy from striking. It is important to have the right marine electronics to ensure that you arrive home [...])
- Optical Diving Mask (Get Bargain Optical Diving Masks
After you select a Optical Diving Masks snapshot beneath, this action will open another page that contains interesting details to allow you to decide, whether you would like to acquire these bargain priced and excellent quality tempered glass mask, prescription dive mask, or optical diving mask inventory specials.
Thanks for coming to [...])
- Water Ski Vest (After picking a Water Ski Vest picture below, you will go to an additional page that has useful information to help you decide to buy these discounted plus select boat safety gear deals. We appreciate your patronage at our Marine Safety Equipment and Boating Safety Equipment store. We assist in rapidly finding the personal flotation [...])