Hawaiian Dive Boat
.... Go back to Part 1: My First Scuba Diving Vacation
Back to our first diving trip off the Big Island on a tourist dive boat. On shore, the crew confirmed that we had all the necessary equipment. The dive company was supplying any equipment that we did not have. None of the tourists on the trip had brought any equipment of their own besides masks and fins, so all of us had to be fitted with oxygen tanks, breathing regulators, vests, and weight belts. Since this equipment was pretty heavy, we did not bother with it until we were on the boat and out near the dive site. It took about a half hour for the boat to arrive at the dive site and to set the anchor.
We looked down at an extensive coral reef that they told us was twenty five to thirty feet deep and seemed to stretch of several acres. Clearly we never could have gotten close to see this reef snorkeling. It was not because we were anchored at least several hundred yards of the shoreline, it was the sheer depth. While twenty five or so feet of water is not a lot for an experienced diver, it is about as deep as a novice should try on their first dive or dives.
While this does not seem like much depth, for about each fifteen feet of water you increase the pressure by about another atmosphere. So the pressure of all the atmosphere above you, when you are standing on the shore at sea level gets doubled when you go down about fifteen feet. If you go down another fifteen feet you add another atmosphere of pressure to the situation. It is like fifteen feet of water weighs about as much as all the miles of air above you on dry land at the shore. This turns out to be pretty important to safety when you are diving as Tina, in particular, found out.
All of us novice tourist divers were on deck listening to the crew tell us about what to expect and how to react if they had a problem. About 10 of us would be diving in addition to the three crew members who would be diving down with us to watch over things. We were told several things to pay attention to. The first had little to do with diving safety, but had more to do with the quality of our experience. They said that while with snorkeling it was often suggested that you spit on the interior of your mask and rub it around to ensure that your mask would not fog up, this would not necessarily be a reliable method for diving. While it could work for many, when the spit on the lenses method fails while snorkeling all you need to do is to get your head out of the water and spit again. This does not work thirty feet down.
There are ways to let water into your mask to clear the fog and then use your nostrils and air from the tank to clear the water from your mask by doing a scuba mask purge. While this is a technique that all divers learn, it is not something they wanted to have us complete novices try at thirty feet. It works and it is reliable, but water in a mask and an inexperienced diver could lead to panic at 30 feet of depth. Instead, they had a formulation of liquid to use to cut the fogging of your dive mask lenses. We each took a few drops on each lens and rubbed it around and nobody had any diving mask fogging problems that day. By the way, there are some home made recipes that you can find on the internet about how to use diluted clear dishwashing liquid or other alternatives to pre place good old saliva, but I have never bothered to find them. The reason is that I bought a small bottle of lens clearing fluid called No-Fog Goop from Snorkel Bob’s in Hawaii.
Snorkel Bob’s was this chain of dive shops and Snorkel Bob’s had these ubiquitous small advertising signs all over that show a shark mouth. These ever present advertising signs were pretty stupid looking, but there were some many of them that we got to chanting Snorkel Bob, whenever we saw the signs as we drove around. Well, at least Steven and I did. Tabatha and Tina tied of this game after the first day, but since women apparently are smarter than men, Steven and I kept it up for the whole trip. Anyway, the reason why I never got around to making some myself is that this Snorkel Bob’s No-Fog Goop has lasted twenty years and I still have a third of this small bottle left. And, it not as if I do not use it. I have a pool and a couple of kids and we use it on our goggles whenever we swim in the summer. The trick to conserving this anti-fog dive mask fluid is simple. Keep it up high on a shelf in the kitchen, so that the kids cannot reach it. If I let the munchkins dispense it, it would have been gone in one summer.
<< Go back to Part 1: My First Scuba Diving Vacation
Snorkeling and Scuba Diving
- Clear Scuba Dive Mask (Buy Bargain Clear Scuba Masks
After picking a Clear Scuba Masks picture lower down, we will take you to a separate web page which has interesting details to allow you to decide, if you would like to acquire these bargain priced and top quality clear scuba mask, snorkeling mask, or clear face mask inventory specials.
We are [...])
- Scuba Diving Bali (What is usually a extra adventurous and fulfilling scuba diving trip expertise than live aboard luxury yacht cruising and scuba diving within the tropical islands of Bali? Contrary to what many scuba divers assume, live aboard scuba diving may not be as costly as you think. In fact if deliberate properly, stay on board diving [...])
- Sherwood Dive Computer (Get Discounted Sherwood Dive Computers
When you click any Sherwood Dive Computers picture here, we will take you to a separate page with all of the details to assist you to figure out, if you want to acquire these discounted and top quality Sherwood dive computer, scuba computer, or wrist dive computer products.
Welcome to this Discount [...])
- Aluminum Boat Propeller (Boat propellers that are cheap, easy to install and offer an excellent straightforward method to repair any damage you may incur. You'll never should tote around another propeller in its entirety again. Boat propellers return in a dizzying array of sizes and configurations. Most outboard propellers work a explicit whole although the propeller size might [...])
- Russian Diver Watch (The original Russian diver watch was created for it is elite military divers within the Russian Special Forces. These divers, called Diversants, required a watch that fit around their suits, could withstand extreme amounts of pressure, and be study in decreased light and murky conditions. This now collectible watch was produced under the order from [...])
- Scuba Dive Rebreather (Many people consider Florida a divers dream come true. This is because Florida is composed of over 1,700 islands and the Keys that stretch over 150 miles there are many different places to go diving. The waters are calm, clear, and full with beautiful and unique sea life and colorful coral. You can visit some [...])
- Discount Marine Electronics (Buy Discounted Marine Electronics
If you pick any Discount Marine Electronics photograph lower down, this action will open a different webpage that contains all of the details to enable you to decide, whether you would like to get these discount priced and excellent quality marine electronic sales deals.
We are happy you have come to our Discount [...])
- 6-Disaster Strikes Towing Our Renovated Wood Boat (Disaster Strikes Towing Our Renovated Wood Boat
We were on schedule and coming up on Lynchburg, Virginia at about 2PM when disaster struck. I was the second car in line and was driving our family minivan at a safe distance behind Frank and his SUV and boat. To my amazement the trailer was fine one minute [...])
- Facts about the Wreck of the Titanic (Titanic Facts -- Sinking of the Titanic and Great Sea Disasters -- Logan Marshall (1912)
Go to Chapter 1 >>>
Number of persons aboard, 2340. Number of life-boats and rafts, 20. Capacity of each life-boat, 50 passengers and crew of 8. Utmost capacity of life-boats and rafts, about 1100. Number of life-boats wrecked in launching, 4. [...])
- Fishing Life Vest (By selecting a Fishing Life Vest photo here, you will be taken to an additional page that contains what you need to know to buy these discounted plus select boat safety gear bargains. Thanks for coming to our Marine Safety Equipment and Boating Safety Equipment store. We assist in rapidly finding the personal flotation devices [...])
- Zeagle Scuba Regulator (Find Discounted Zeagle Scuba Regulators
After you select a Zeagle Scuba Regulators snapshot beneath, you will be taken to another page with interesting details to enable you to figure out, whether you need to get these discount priced and excellent quality Zeagle dive regulator, diving regulator, or scuba diving regulator sales deals.
Thanks for coming to our [...])
- Scuba Octopus Regulator (Find Bargain Scuba Octopus Regulators
As you choose a Scuba Octopus Regulators graphic beneath, you will automatically go to a different article which contains informative product information to assist you to decide, if you want to purchase these bargain priced and high quality octopus dive regulator, diving regulator, or scuba diving regulator products.
Thank you for visiting [...])
- Scuba Diving Vest (Get Discounted Scuba Diving Vests
If you pick any Scuba Diving Vests photograph underneath, this action will open an additional web page that contains all of the details to allow you to determine, whether you need to buy these discounted and high quality dive vest, scuba diving vest or dive buoyancy vest inventory specials.
We hope you [...])
- Marine Safety Equipment (By selecting a Marine Safety Equipment photograph beneath, this action will open a separate page that has useful information to help you decide to buy these discounted plus attractive boat safety gear deals. We hope you like our Marine Safety Equipment and Boating Safety Equipment store. On this page you will find the personal flotation [...])
- Fly Fishing (Important Beginner Fly Fishing GearYou will need other beginner fly fishing gear besides a fly fishing rod, fly fishing reel, and fly line in order to begin with the sport of fly fishing. This article gives an overview on the essential fly fishing tools and gear for the novice angler. Fly Fishing Flies An essential [...])
- Oceanic Scuba Regulator (Purchase Bargain Oceanic Scuba Regulators
As you choose a Oceanic Scuba Regulators picture below, this action will open an additional web page that contains interesting details to allow you to determine, whether you want to acquire these bargain priced and top quality Oceanic dive regulator, diving regulator, or scuba diving regulator sales deals.
We are happy you [...])
- 19- How the World Received the News — of the Titanic Disaster (Nations prostrate with grief--Messages from kings and cardinals-- Disaster stirs world to necessity of stricter regulations.
Chapter 19 -- Sinking of the Titanic and Great Sea Disasters -- Logan Marshall (1912)
<<< Go back to Chapter 18
Go on to Chapter 20 >>>
Young and old, rich and poor were prostrated by the news of the disaster. Even Wall [...])
- Suunto Diving Computer (A dive computer should be used by all divers regardless of their dive experience. Dive computers are seen by many as an essential piece of scuba diving equipment. They allow divers to stay longer underwater and improve dive safety. Being able to spend more time underwater means you don't have to cut your dive experience [...])
- Pink Dive Mask (Find Discounted Pink Scuba Masks
After picking a Pink Scuba Masks photograph beneath, you will automatically go to an additional webpage that has informative product information to help you to determine, if you would like to acquire these bargain priced and high quality pink scuba mask, snorkeling mask, or pink face mask sales deals.
We appreciate your [...])
- Furuno Satellite Compass (Navigating the waters is made easy through the help of devices that Furuno had manufactured. Forming part of its list are fish finders, loud hailers and heading sensors. To add up to their list of offerings, the brand maker conceptualized their own satellite compass as well. You can see one great sample for this in [...])