Hawaiian Dive Boat
.... Go back to Part 1: My First Scuba Diving Vacation
Back to our first diving trip off the Big Island on a tourist dive boat. On shore, the crew confirmed that we had all the necessary equipment. The dive company was supplying any equipment that we did not have. None of the tourists on the trip had brought any equipment of their own besides masks and fins, so all of us had to be fitted with oxygen tanks, breathing regulators, vests, and weight belts. Since this equipment was pretty heavy, we did not bother with it until we were on the boat and out near the dive site. It took about a half hour for the boat to arrive at the dive site and to set the anchor.
We looked down at an extensive coral reef that they told us was twenty five to thirty feet deep and seemed to stretch of several acres. Clearly we never could have gotten close to see this reef snorkeling. It was not because we were anchored at least several hundred yards of the shoreline, it was the sheer depth. While twenty five or so feet of water is not a lot for an experienced diver, it is about as deep as a novice should try on their first dive or dives.
While this does not seem like much depth, for about each fifteen feet of water you increase the pressure by about another atmosphere. So the pressure of all the atmosphere above you, when you are standing on the shore at sea level gets doubled when you go down about fifteen feet. If you go down another fifteen feet you add another atmosphere of pressure to the situation. It is like fifteen feet of water weighs about as much as all the miles of air above you on dry land at the shore. This turns out to be pretty important to safety when you are diving as Tina, in particular, found out.
All of us novice tourist divers were on deck listening to the crew tell us about what to expect and how to react if they had a problem. About 10 of us would be diving in addition to the three crew members who would be diving down with us to watch over things. We were told several things to pay attention to. The first had little to do with diving safety, but had more to do with the quality of our experience. They said that while with snorkeling it was often suggested that you spit on the interior of your mask and rub it around to ensure that your mask would not fog up, this would not necessarily be a reliable method for diving. While it could work for many, when the spit on the lenses method fails while snorkeling all you need to do is to get your head out of the water and spit again. This does not work thirty feet down.
There are ways to let water into your mask to clear the fog and then use your nostrils and air from the tank to clear the water from your mask by doing a scuba mask purge. While this is a technique that all divers learn, it is not something they wanted to have us complete novices try at thirty feet. It works and it is reliable, but water in a mask and an inexperienced diver could lead to panic at 30 feet of depth. Instead, they had a formulation of liquid to use to cut the fogging of your dive mask lenses. We each took a few drops on each lens and rubbed it around and nobody had any diving mask fogging problems that day. By the way, there are some home made recipes that you can find on the internet about how to use diluted clear dishwashing liquid or other alternatives to pre place good old saliva, but I have never bothered to find them. The reason is that I bought a small bottle of lens clearing fluid called No-Fog Goop from Snorkel Bob’s in Hawaii.
Snorkel Bob’s was this chain of dive shops and Snorkel Bob’s had these ubiquitous small advertising signs all over that show a shark mouth. These ever present advertising signs were pretty stupid looking, but there were some many of them that we got to chanting Snorkel Bob, whenever we saw the signs as we drove around. Well, at least Steven and I did. Tabatha and Tina tied of this game after the first day, but since women apparently are smarter than men, Steven and I kept it up for the whole trip. Anyway, the reason why I never got around to making some myself is that this Snorkel Bob’s No-Fog Goop has lasted twenty years and I still have a third of this small bottle left. And, it not as if I do not use it. I have a pool and a couple of kids and we use it on our goggles whenever we swim in the summer. The trick to conserving this anti-fog dive mask fluid is simple. Keep it up high on a shelf in the kitchen, so that the kids cannot reach it. If I let the munchkins dispense it, it would have been gone in one summer.
<< Go back to Part 1: My First Scuba Diving Vacation
Snorkeling and Scuba Diving
- Scuba Diving Bali (What is usually a extra adventurous and fulfilling scuba diving trip expertise than live aboard luxury yacht cruising and scuba diving within the tropical islands of Bali? Contrary to what many scuba divers assume, live aboard scuba diving may not be as costly as you think. In fact if deliberate properly, stay on board diving [...])
- Boat Safety Kit (After you select a Boat Safety Kit photo underneath, you will automatically go to an additional page that has interesting details about how to get these wonderful and attractive water safety gear deals. Thanks for coming to our Marine Safety Equipment and Boating Safety Equipment preview showroom. We assist in rapidly finding the personal flotation [...])
- Waterproof Boat Cover (Having a boat is regarded as very prestigious and reflects a person's standing. Despite the fact that a boat delivers enjoyment and even living space, the most crucial factor is its upkeep. Good upkeep and attention will aid to keep the boat enduring for many years. Waterproof boat covers tend to be the ideal gear [...])
- Furuno Satellite Compass (Navigating the waters is made easy through the help of devices that Furuno had manufactured. Forming part of its list are fish finders, loud hailers and heading sensors. To add up to their list of offerings, the brand maker conceptualized their own satellite compass as well. You can see one great sample for this in [...])
- Prescription Snorkel Mask (Buy Discount Prescription Snorkel Masks
By selecting a Prescription Snorkel Masks photograph below, you will automatically go to a separate article where you will find useful information to enable you to determine, if you need to purchase these bargain priced and top quality prescription snorkel goggle, snorkeling mask, or prescription snorkle mask sales deals.
We are happy [...])
- Wooden Canoe Paddle (In the event you want to go for a fast trip in the water, then canoes could be a great aid. Speak about canoes and you've various possibilities to choose from. Each of these canoe forms has its individual set of benefits and issues. Let us take a look at a few of the famous [...])
- Sailing Life Jacket (Shop for Bargain Sailing Life Jackets
If you pick any Sailing Life Jackets picture underneath, we will take you to a separate page that contains informative product information to enable you to decide, whether you would like to purchase these bargain and top quality sailing life jacket sales deals.
We hope you like our Discount Marine, Water, [...])
- Suunto Dive Computer (Shop for Discount Suunto Dive Computers
After picking a Suunto Dive Computers photo lower down, you will be taken to another page where you will find useful information to enable you to determine, whether you need to buy these bargain and excellent quality Suunto dive computer, scuba computer, or wrist dive computer sales deals.
Thank you for [...])
- Kayak Vest (After you select a Kayak Vest picture here, we will take you to an additional page where you will find all of the details you need to purchase these bargain priced and attractive boat safety gear deals. We hope you like our Marine Safety Equipment and Boating Safety Equipment store salesroom. Here you can get [...])
- Marine Electronics (So, you may be wondering what boat electronics you need to maintain a safe and efficient operating boat.Choosing the proper boat electronics can not only help your fishing and cruising expeditions but can also prevent colamity and tragedy from striking. It is important to have the right marine electronics to ensure that you arrive home [...])
- Stiletto Propeller (As any boat glides through the water, it appears to the casual observer that its movement has a fluidity of peace and serenity. But below the water level there are many things that are in constant action to make the boat move. That easy grace that boats achieve is only made possible by the [...])
- 12- The Tragic Home-Coming — of Titanic Survivors (The Carpathia reaches New York--An intense and dramatic moment --Hysterical reunions and crushing disappointments at the dock--Caring for the sufferers--Final realization that all hope for others is futile--List of survivors--Roll of the dead.
Chapter 12 -- Sinking of the Titanic and Great Sea Disasters -- Logan Marshall (1912)
<<< Go back to Chapter 11
Go on to Chapter [...])
- Scuba Backpack (Get Bargain Discount Scuba Backpacks
By selecting a Discount Scuba Backpacks picture here, you will be taken to a separate article where you will find interesting details to enable you to figure out, if you would like to purchase these discount priced and high quality scuba diver backpack, diving gear bag, or scuba backpack bag sales [...])
- Werner Paddle (Trips on your kayak offer fun and great satisfaction. However, long trips can cause fatigue of hands, arms, and joints. A good paddle and the right paddling technique will help eliminate stress on the body and fatigue. Werner Paddles have developed paddles, which can help you enjoy more time on the water. [...])
- Scuba Dive BCD (There are wonders in the world that can only be explored underwater. As such, one has to take extra lengths to be able to see these magnificent creations. Scuba diving is the most effective means for an individual to enjoy these wonders.
This is one way of getting closer to nature like you have never done [...])
- Alaska Fishing (Do you like fishing? Have you heard of the Kenai River in Alaska? Kenai River fishing is an angler's dream come true, actually the mother lode of salmon fishing. The Kenai runs a spectacular 82 miles, from Kenai Lake in southern Alaska to the Pacific ocean, at Cook's Inlet. Starting in May, continuing [...])
- Fishing Life Vest (By selecting a Fishing Life Vest photo here, you will be taken to an additional page that contains what you need to know to buy these discounted plus select boat safety gear bargains. Thanks for coming to our Marine Safety Equipment and Boating Safety Equipment store. We assist in rapidly finding the personal flotation devices [...])
- Charter Boat (For every charter boat operator the need to take out charter boat insurance is especially strong because according to maritime laws it is the operator of a charter boat that is to be held responsible for any damages caused on account of acts of negligence on their part. This means that as an operator of [...])
- Diving Tank Regulator (If you plan to go on a scuba diving trip or expedition, you will want to either buy or rent a scuba diving tank depending on what will suit you best in the given situation. The proper term for the equipment is 'diving cylinder' or dive tanks, though this is not widely used outside of [...])
- Inflatable Raft (After you select an Inflatable Raft photo underneath, this action will open another web page which contains what you need to know to buy these discounted plus high quality boat safety gear products. Welcome to this Marine Safety Equipment and Boating Safety Equipment online shop. Here you can get the personal flotation devices and other [...])