Hawaiian Dive Boat
.... Go back to Part 1: My First Scuba Diving Vacation
Back to our first diving trip off the Big Island on a tourist dive boat. On shore, the crew confirmed that we had all the necessary equipment. The dive company was supplying any equipment that we did not have. None of the tourists on the trip had brought any equipment of their own besides masks and fins, so all of us had to be fitted with oxygen tanks, breathing regulators, vests, and weight belts. Since this equipment was pretty heavy, we did not bother with it until we were on the boat and out near the dive site. It took about a half hour for the boat to arrive at the dive site and to set the anchor.
We looked down at an extensive coral reef that they told us was twenty five to thirty feet deep and seemed to stretch of several acres. Clearly we never could have gotten close to see this reef snorkeling. It was not because we were anchored at least several hundred yards of the shoreline, it was the sheer depth. While twenty five or so feet of water is not a lot for an experienced diver, it is about as deep as a novice should try on their first dive or dives.
While this does not seem like much depth, for about each fifteen feet of water you increase the pressure by about another atmosphere. So the pressure of all the atmosphere above you, when you are standing on the shore at sea level gets doubled when you go down about fifteen feet. If you go down another fifteen feet you add another atmosphere of pressure to the situation. It is like fifteen feet of water weighs about as much as all the miles of air above you on dry land at the shore. This turns out to be pretty important to safety when you are diving as Tina, in particular, found out.
All of us novice tourist divers were on deck listening to the crew tell us about what to expect and how to react if they had a problem. About 10 of us would be diving in addition to the three crew members who would be diving down with us to watch over things. We were told several things to pay attention to. The first had little to do with diving safety, but had more to do with the quality of our experience. They said that while with snorkeling it was often suggested that you spit on the interior of your mask and rub it around to ensure that your mask would not fog up, this would not necessarily be a reliable method for diving. While it could work for many, when the spit on the lenses method fails while snorkeling all you need to do is to get your head out of the water and spit again. This does not work thirty feet down.
There are ways to let water into your mask to clear the fog and then use your nostrils and air from the tank to clear the water from your mask by doing a scuba mask purge. While this is a technique that all divers learn, it is not something they wanted to have us complete novices try at thirty feet. It works and it is reliable, but water in a mask and an inexperienced diver could lead to panic at 30 feet of depth. Instead, they had a formulation of liquid to use to cut the fogging of your dive mask lenses. We each took a few drops on each lens and rubbed it around and nobody had any diving mask fogging problems that day. By the way, there are some home made recipes that you can find on the internet about how to use diluted clear dishwashing liquid or other alternatives to pre place good old saliva, but I have never bothered to find them. The reason is that I bought a small bottle of lens clearing fluid called No-Fog Goop from Snorkel Bob’s in Hawaii.
Snorkel Bob’s was this chain of dive shops and Snorkel Bob’s had these ubiquitous small advertising signs all over that show a shark mouth. These ever present advertising signs were pretty stupid looking, but there were some many of them that we got to chanting Snorkel Bob, whenever we saw the signs as we drove around. Well, at least Steven and I did. Tabatha and Tina tied of this game after the first day, but since women apparently are smarter than men, Steven and I kept it up for the whole trip. Anyway, the reason why I never got around to making some myself is that this Snorkel Bob’s No-Fog Goop has lasted twenty years and I still have a third of this small bottle left. And, it not as if I do not use it. I have a pool and a couple of kids and we use it on our goggles whenever we swim in the summer. The trick to conserving this anti-fog dive mask fluid is simple. Keep it up high on a shelf in the kitchen, so that the kids cannot reach it. If I let the munchkins dispense it, it would have been gone in one summer.
<< Go back to Part 1: My First Scuba Diving Vacation
Snorkeling and Scuba Diving
- Child Life Vest (As you choose a Child Life Vest photo underneath, we will take you to an additional page which has useful information to help you decide to buy these discounted plus desirable water survival gear goods. We appreciate your patronage at our Marine Safety Equipment and Boat Safety Equipment store. Here you can locate easily the [...])
- AIS Receiver (So, you may be wondering what marine electronics you need to sustain a safe and efficient operating craft.Having the proper boating electronics can not only help your fishing and cruising expeditions but can also prevent calamity and tragedy from striking. It is important to have the right marine electronics to ensure that you arrive home [...])
- Pontoon Boat (Discount Pontoon Fishing Boats
If you pick any Pontoon Fishing Boat picture here, this action will open an additional page which has informative product information to acquire these very attractive pontoon fishing boats and fly fishing pontoon boats. We appreciate your patronage at our Discount Boats, Boat Parts, and Boating Equipment online shop. We assist in [...])
- Garmin GPSMAP GPS (The Garmin GPSMAP 5212 is a marine navigator. Although the electronics within this product are remarkable, they are not as good as they could have possibly been due to the rush for it to be released in time for Christmas last year. Garmin have since released new firmware which have rectified these issue and problems. [...])
- Jobe Life Vest (Get Bargain Jobe Life Vests
After you select a Jobe Life Vests photo underneath, this action will open another webpage that has useful information to allow you to decide, if you would like to purchase these discount priced and excellent quality Jobe life vest sales deals.
Welcome to our Discount Marine, Water, & Boat Safety Equipment preview [...])
- VHF Marine Radio (After you select a VHF Marine Radio photo here, you will be taken to another web page that has all of the details you need to acquire these very desirable boat safety gear bargains. We hope you like our Marine Safety Equipment and Boating Safety Equipment preview showroom. We assist in rapidly finding the personal [...])
- Suunto Diving Computer (A dive computer should be used by all divers regardless of their dive experience. Dive computers are seen by many as an essential piece of scuba diving equipment. They allow divers to stay longer underwater and improve dive safety. Being able to spend more time underwater means you don't have to cut your dive experience [...])
- Extrasport PFD (After picking a Extrasport PFD snapshot lower down, this action will open an additional page that contains all of the details you need to acquire these very select boat safety gear goods. We are glad that you have come to this Marine Safety Equipment and Boating Safety Equipment online salesroom. We assist in rapidly finding [...])
- Optical Diving Mask (Get Bargain Optical Diving Masks
After you select a Optical Diving Masks snapshot beneath, this action will open another page that contains interesting details to allow you to decide, whether you would like to acquire these bargain priced and excellent quality tempered glass mask, prescription dive mask, or optical diving mask inventory specials.
Thanks for coming to [...])
- Yellow Scuba Dive Mask (Buy Discount Yellow Scuba Masks
After picking a Yellow Scuba Masks graphic underneath, you will automatically go to a different webpage where you will find interesting details to assist you to decide, whether you would like to acquire these bargain priced and top quality yellow scuba mask, snorkeling mask, or yellow face mask sales deals.
Thank you [...])
- OBrien Neoprene Vest (Purchase Discount OBrien Life Jackets
When you click any OBrien Life Jackets photograph below, this action will open an additional web page with useful information to enable you to figure out, if you need to get these discount priced and top quality OBrien life jacket inventory specials.
Thank you for visiting this Discount Marine, Water, & Boat [...])
- Dive Rite Scuba Regulator (Find Discounted Dive Rite Scuba Regulators
When you click any Dive Rite Scuba Regulators photo here, you will automatically go to a separate article which has interesting details to help you to decide, if you would like to purchase these bargain priced and top quality Dive Rite dive regulator, diving regulator, or scuba diving regulator inventory [...])
- Inflatable Vest (Find Discounted DBX Life Vests
After picking a DBX Life Vests snapshot here, you will automatically go to another webpage that has all of the details to assist you to determine, whether you would like to acquire these discount priced and excellent quality DBX life vest sales deals.
We are happy you have come to this Discount [...])
- 20- Bravery of the Officers and Crew — of The Titanic (Illustrious career of Captain E. J. Smith--Brave to the last-- Maintenance of order and discipline--Acts of heroism--Engineers died at posts --Noble-hearted band.
Chapter 20 -- Sinking of the Titanic and Great Sea Disasters -- Logan Marshall (1912)
In the anxious hours of uncertainty, when the air cracked and flashed with the story of disaster, there was [...])
- 16- Incidents Related by James McGough — about the Titanic (Women forced into the life-boats--Why some men were saved before women--Asked to man life-boats.
Chapter 16 -- Sinking of the Titanic and Great Sea Disasters -- Logan Marshall (1912)
Surrounded by his wife and members of his family, James McGough, of Philadelphia, a buyer for the Gimbel Brothers, whose fate had been in doubt, recited a [...])
- 6-Disaster Strikes Towing Our Renovated Wood Boat (Disaster Strikes Towing Our Renovated Wood Boat
We were on schedule and coming up on Lynchburg, Virginia at about 2PM when disaster struck. I was the second car in line and was driving our family minivan at a safe distance behind Frank and his SUV and boat. To my amazement the trailer was fine one minute [...])
- Scuba Diving Fins (If you pick any Scuba Diving Fins photo here, you will go to a different web page which contains useful information to help you decide to purchase these bargain priced and select scuba dive fins products. Thanks for coming to our Discount Scuba Diving Equipment and Snorkeling Gear store salesroom. Here you can get the [...])
- Speargun (When you click any Spearguns snapshot lower down, we will take you to an additional page where you will find informative product information to get these wonderful and desirable speargun equipment bargains. We are glad that you have come to this Discount Scuba Diving Equipment and Snorkeling Gear preview showroom. Here you can get the [...])
- Scuba Underwater Photography (While that you are scuba diving, that you are no doubt surprised by the beauty and grace with the underwater planet and want to share it with your household and good friends who you have not been equipped to convince to go with you as of yet. Or perhaps you just wish to capture photos [...])
- FuzionX Life Vest (Get Discounted FuzionX Life Jackets
As you choose a FuzionX Life Jackets graphic here, we will take you to a separate page where you will find informative product information to assist you to determine, whether you need to acquire these discount priced and high quality FuzionX life jacket sales deals.
We appreciate your patronage at our Discount [...])