Hawaiian Dive Boat
.... Go back to Part 1: My First Scuba Diving Vacation
Back to our first diving trip off the Big Island on a tourist dive boat. On shore, the crew confirmed that we had all the necessary equipment. The dive company was supplying any equipment that we did not have. None of the tourists on the trip had brought any equipment of their own besides masks and fins, so all of us had to be fitted with oxygen tanks, breathing regulators, vests, and weight belts. Since this equipment was pretty heavy, we did not bother with it until we were on the boat and out near the dive site. It took about a half hour for the boat to arrive at the dive site and to set the anchor.
We looked down at an extensive coral reef that they told us was twenty five to thirty feet deep and seemed to stretch of several acres. Clearly we never could have gotten close to see this reef snorkeling. It was not because we were anchored at least several hundred yards of the shoreline, it was the sheer depth. While twenty five or so feet of water is not a lot for an experienced diver, it is about as deep as a novice should try on their first dive or dives.
While this does not seem like much depth, for about each fifteen feet of water you increase the pressure by about another atmosphere. So the pressure of all the atmosphere above you, when you are standing on the shore at sea level gets doubled when you go down about fifteen feet. If you go down another fifteen feet you add another atmosphere of pressure to the situation. It is like fifteen feet of water weighs about as much as all the miles of air above you on dry land at the shore. This turns out to be pretty important to safety when you are diving as Tina, in particular, found out.
All of us novice tourist divers were on deck listening to the crew tell us about what to expect and how to react if they had a problem. About 10 of us would be diving in addition to the three crew members who would be diving down with us to watch over things. We were told several things to pay attention to. The first had little to do with diving safety, but had more to do with the quality of our experience. They said that while with snorkeling it was often suggested that you spit on the interior of your mask and rub it around to ensure that your mask would not fog up, this would not necessarily be a reliable method for diving. While it could work for many, when the spit on the lenses method fails while snorkeling all you need to do is to get your head out of the water and spit again. This does not work thirty feet down.
There are ways to let water into your mask to clear the fog and then use your nostrils and air from the tank to clear the water from your mask by doing a scuba mask purge. While this is a technique that all divers learn, it is not something they wanted to have us complete novices try at thirty feet. It works and it is reliable, but water in a mask and an inexperienced diver could lead to panic at 30 feet of depth. Instead, they had a formulation of liquid to use to cut the fogging of your dive mask lenses. We each took a few drops on each lens and rubbed it around and nobody had any diving mask fogging problems that day. By the way, there are some home made recipes that you can find on the internet about how to use diluted clear dishwashing liquid or other alternatives to pre place good old saliva, but I have never bothered to find them. The reason is that I bought a small bottle of lens clearing fluid called No-Fog Goop from Snorkel Bob’s in Hawaii.
Snorkel Bob’s was this chain of dive shops and Snorkel Bob’s had these ubiquitous small advertising signs all over that show a shark mouth. These ever present advertising signs were pretty stupid looking, but there were some many of them that we got to chanting Snorkel Bob, whenever we saw the signs as we drove around. Well, at least Steven and I did. Tabatha and Tina tied of this game after the first day, but since women apparently are smarter than men, Steven and I kept it up for the whole trip. Anyway, the reason why I never got around to making some myself is that this Snorkel Bob’s No-Fog Goop has lasted twenty years and I still have a third of this small bottle left. And, it not as if I do not use it. I have a pool and a couple of kids and we use it on our goggles whenever we swim in the summer. The trick to conserving this anti-fog dive mask fluid is simple. Keep it up high on a shelf in the kitchen, so that the kids cannot reach it. If I let the munchkins dispense it, it would have been gone in one summer.
<< Go back to Part 1: My First Scuba Diving Vacation
Snorkeling and Scuba Diving
- Garmin Marine GPS (Garmin is a name that is widely associated with GPS systems, and they have a line of marine electronics that carry their tradition of navigation assistance to the marine market, with a range of hand held GPS devices. They start at $129.99 and go as high as $599.99. For faster map drawing and panning, Garmin [...])
- Furuno Satellite Compass (Navigating the waters is made easy through the help of devices that Furuno had manufactured. Forming part of its list are fish finders, loud hailers and heading sensors. To add up to their list of offerings, the brand maker conceptualized their own satellite compass as well. You can see one great sample for this in [...])
- Womens Life Jacket (By selecting a Womens Life Jacket photograph beneath, you will be taken to a different web page that contains interesting details about how to purchase these bargain priced and high quality boat safety gear choices. Thanks for coming to our Marine Safety Equipment and Boating Safety Equipment preview showroom. We assist in rapidly finding the [...])
- Lowrance GPS Navigation ( Lowrance HDS-8M The Lowrance HDS-8M is definitely an award successful navigation systems model that offers extraordinary and unmatched navigational detail. The very best portion may be the resolution is optimized per the userÔøΩs viewing needs on an eight.four inch high resolution shade and VGA exhibit display. The Solarmax engineering gives unmatched sonar graph [...])
- Boat Dehumidifier (Electronic components of your boat can become corroded by dampness. Mildews and molds caused by it can destroy upholstry. Thus a good boat humidifier can be used to control moisture levels so your boat smells clean. However, not every dehumidifier will work equally effectively at controlling the humidity levels. When looking for a good marine [...])
- Marine GPS Fishfinder (Will you be a professional fisherman or someone who enjoys angling and sailing for entertainment? If that's the case, you are probably knowledgeable about some of the common products and devices that people with watercraft and the need to find the most effective angling places have. Many individuals that fish and also have watercraft incorporate [...])
- Scuba Diving Regulator (If you are considering purchasing scuba diving equipment of your own, it could become a daunting task to decide what you will require and what you won’t. There are two ways you can get scuba diving equipment; one is to pay the retail price and the other is to find discount scuba diving equipment. There [...])
- Red Scuba Dive Mask (Find Discounted Red Scuba Masks
After you select a Red Scuba Masks snapshot underneath, you will go to a separate article that has interesting details to help you to decide, whether you would like to get these bargain priced and high quality red scuba mask, snorkeling mask, or red face mask inventory specials.
We are glad that [...])
- Prescription Dive Mask (If you pick any Prescription Dive Mask photo underneath, this action will open another web page that contains interesting details about how to acquire these very useful prescription snorkel mask merchandise. We appreciate your patronage at our Discount Scuba Diving Equipment and Snorkeling Gear store. We help you quickly locate the prescription snorkeling mask merchandise [...])
- Forward Looking Sonar (You may always be looking for a partner to your water navigation experience yet this can be difficult if you do not have any idea of the product you should choose. However, this difficulty can be eliminated once you have read through features packed in such items. Therefore, if you are looking for such items, [...])
- Mares Dive Computer (Buy Bargain Mares Dive Computers
If you pick any Mares Dive Computers snapshot below, you will be taken to a different webpage with interesting details to assist you to determine, whether you want to buy these bargain priced and excellent quality Mares dive computer, scuba computer, or wrist dive computer sales deals.
Thanks for coming to this [...])
- 25- Other Great Marine Disasters — before The Titanic (Deadly danger of icebergs--Dozens of ships perish in collision-- Other disasters.
Chapter 25 -- Sinking of the Titanic and Great Sea Disasters -- Logan Marshall (1912)
The danger of collision with icebergs has always been one of the most deadly that confront the mariner. Indeed, so well recognized is this peril of the Newfoundland Banks, where [...])
- 11- Preparations on Land to Receive the Sufferers – Titanic Survivors Return (Police arrangements--Donations of money and supplies--Hospital and ambulances made ready--Private houses thrown open--Waiting for the Carpathia to arrive--The ship sighted!
Chapter 11 -- Sinking of the Titanic and Great Sea Disasters -- Logan Marshall (1912)
New York City, touched to the heart by the great ocean calamity and desiring to do what it could to lighten [...])
- Stainless Steel Propeller (Boat propellers come in a dizzying array of sizes plus configurations. A good amount of outboard propellers match a particular brand although the propeller size may match alternative brands. Boat propellers which are affordable, simple to put in and supply a super quick way to repair any harm you might incur. You will never have to tote round [...])
- Mares Spear Gun (Find Bargain Mares Spear Guns
If you pick any Mares Spear Guns picture lower down, you will automatically go to an additional webpage which contains interesting details to allow you to figure out, if you would like to buy these discounted and top quality Mares speargun, Mares spearfishing gun, or Mares speargun equipment inventory specials.
Thanks for [...])
- Inflatable Boat Cover (The first inflatable boats appeared in the early part of the nineteenth century when pontoons were made from inflated animal skins. However, they didn’t become really popular until the end of the Second World War when the US military began to sell surplus inflatable boats to the civilian population. Boaters soon discovered an inexpensive alternative [...])
- Raymarine Fish Finder (Raymarine marine electronics is based in Merrimack, New Hampshire and has 80-plus years of product development experience. Raymarine sells a large range of products, like GPS chart-plotters, fish finders, VHF radios, and even satellite television to bring all boaters the latest and greatest technology.
If you have a boat you want to outfit with the latest [...])
- Scuba Diving Bali (What is usually a extra adventurous and fulfilling scuba diving trip expertise than live aboard luxury yacht cruising and scuba diving within the tropical islands of Bali? Contrary to what many scuba divers assume, live aboard scuba diving may not be as costly as you think. In fact if deliberate properly, stay on board diving [...])
- Aluminum Canoe (Whether you like water sports or simply like to ride the waves, a canoe may assist you indulge in both with equal élan. There are numerous varieties of canoes obtainable in the market today with their individual group of advantages and disadvantages. Here, we look at a few of the more common canoe varieties and [...])
- Waterproof Boat Cover (Having a boat is regarded as very prestigious and reflects a person's standing. Despite the fact that a boat delivers enjoyment and even living space, the most crucial factor is its upkeep. Good upkeep and attention will aid to keep the boat enduring for many years. Waterproof boat covers tend to be the ideal gear [...])