Hawaiian Dive Boat
.... Go back to Part 1: My First Scuba Diving Vacation
Back to our first diving trip off the Big Island on a tourist dive boat. On shore, the crew confirmed that we had all the necessary equipment. The dive company was supplying any equipment that we did not have. None of the tourists on the trip had brought any equipment of their own besides masks and fins, so all of us had to be fitted with oxygen tanks, breathing regulators, vests, and weight belts. Since this equipment was pretty heavy, we did not bother with it until we were on the boat and out near the dive site. It took about a half hour for the boat to arrive at the dive site and to set the anchor.
We looked down at an extensive coral reef that they told us was twenty five to thirty feet deep and seemed to stretch of several acres. Clearly we never could have gotten close to see this reef snorkeling. It was not because we were anchored at least several hundred yards of the shoreline, it was the sheer depth. While twenty five or so feet of water is not a lot for an experienced diver, it is about as deep as a novice should try on their first dive or dives.
While this does not seem like much depth, for about each fifteen feet of water you increase the pressure by about another atmosphere. So the pressure of all the atmosphere above you, when you are standing on the shore at sea level gets doubled when you go down about fifteen feet. If you go down another fifteen feet you add another atmosphere of pressure to the situation. It is like fifteen feet of water weighs about as much as all the miles of air above you on dry land at the shore. This turns out to be pretty important to safety when you are diving as Tina, in particular, found out.
All of us novice tourist divers were on deck listening to the crew tell us about what to expect and how to react if they had a problem. About 10 of us would be diving in addition to the three crew members who would be diving down with us to watch over things. We were told several things to pay attention to. The first had little to do with diving safety, but had more to do with the quality of our experience. They said that while with snorkeling it was often suggested that you spit on the interior of your mask and rub it around to ensure that your mask would not fog up, this would not necessarily be a reliable method for diving. While it could work for many, when the spit on the lenses method fails while snorkeling all you need to do is to get your head out of the water and spit again. This does not work thirty feet down.
There are ways to let water into your mask to clear the fog and then use your nostrils and air from the tank to clear the water from your mask by doing a scuba mask purge. While this is a technique that all divers learn, it is not something they wanted to have us complete novices try at thirty feet. It works and it is reliable, but water in a mask and an inexperienced diver could lead to panic at 30 feet of depth. Instead, they had a formulation of liquid to use to cut the fogging of your dive mask lenses. We each took a few drops on each lens and rubbed it around and nobody had any diving mask fogging problems that day. By the way, there are some home made recipes that you can find on the internet about how to use diluted clear dishwashing liquid or other alternatives to pre place good old saliva, but I have never bothered to find them. The reason is that I bought a small bottle of lens clearing fluid called No-Fog Goop from Snorkel Bob’s in Hawaii.
Snorkel Bob’s was this chain of dive shops and Snorkel Bob’s had these ubiquitous small advertising signs all over that show a shark mouth. These ever present advertising signs were pretty stupid looking, but there were some many of them that we got to chanting Snorkel Bob, whenever we saw the signs as we drove around. Well, at least Steven and I did. Tabatha and Tina tied of this game after the first day, but since women apparently are smarter than men, Steven and I kept it up for the whole trip. Anyway, the reason why I never got around to making some myself is that this Snorkel Bob’s No-Fog Goop has lasted twenty years and I still have a third of this small bottle left. And, it not as if I do not use it. I have a pool and a couple of kids and we use it on our goggles whenever we swim in the summer. The trick to conserving this anti-fog dive mask fluid is simple. Keep it up high on a shelf in the kitchen, so that the kids cannot reach it. If I let the munchkins dispense it, it would have been gone in one summer.
<< Go back to Part 1: My First Scuba Diving Vacation
Snorkeling and Scuba Diving
- Sea-Doo Neoprene Vest (Purchase Bargain Sea-Doo Neoprene Vests
When you click any Sea-Doo Neoprene Vests snapshot here, you will go to an additional page where you will find useful information to help you to figure out, whether you would like to purchase these bargain priced and top quality SeaDoo neoprene life vest products.
Welcome to this Discount Marine, Water, & [...])
- Scuba Dive Purge Mask (Purchase Discounted Dive Purge Masks
If you pick any Dive Purge Masks photo lower down, you will be taken to a different web page where you will find interesting details to help you to determine, if you want to purchase these bargain priced and top quality purge scuba mask, snorkeling mask, or purge face mask sales [...])
- HO Sports Life Jacket (Get Bargain HO Sports Life Jackets
By selecting a HO Sports Life Jackets snapshot below, you will automatically go to a separate article which has all of the details to enable you to decide, if you want to purchase these discount priced and high quality HO Sports life jacket sales deals.
Thanks for coming to our Discount [...])
- Scuba Backpack (Get Bargain Discount Scuba Backpacks
By selecting a Discount Scuba Backpacks picture here, you will be taken to a separate article where you will find interesting details to enable you to figure out, if you would like to purchase these discount priced and high quality scuba diver backpack, diving gear bag, or scuba backpack bag sales [...])
- Adult Life Jacket (When you click any Adult Life Jacket photo underneath, this action will open another web page with useful information to help you decide to purchase these bargain priced and desirable boat safety gear merchandise. We hope you like our Marine Safety Equipment and Boating Safety Equipment preview showroom. Here you can get the personal flotation [...])
- Scuba Diving Bali (What is usually a extra adventurous and fulfilling scuba diving trip expertise than live aboard luxury yacht cruising and scuba diving within the tropical islands of Bali? Contrary to what many scuba divers assume, live aboard scuba diving may not be as costly as you think. In fact if deliberate properly, stay on board diving [...])
- 21- Searching for the Dead — of The Titanic Disaster (Sending out the Mackay-Bennett and Minia--Bremen passengers see bodies--Identifying bodies--Confusion in names--Recoveries.
Chapter 21 -- Sinking of the Titanic and Great Sea Disasters -- Logan Marshall (1912)
A few days after the disaster the cable steamer Mackay-Bennett was sent out by the White Star Line to cruise in the vicinity of the disaster and search for [...])
- Surfer Wetsuit (One important factor about wetsuits that is often overlooked is that they will also protect you from harmful things that you can find in the sea. Wearing a wetsuit will not only keep you warm but protect your skin against damage from the elements. Top brands are at the top because they produce the best [...])
- US Divers Scuba Regulator (Shop for Bargain US Divers Scuba Regulators
When you click any US Divers Scuba Regulators snapshot here, you will be taken to a different article that contains all of the details to enable you to decide, if you want to acquire these discounted and top quality US Divers dive regulator, diving regulator, or scuba diving regulator [...])
- Raymarine GPS (The Raymarine A57D is probably the most advanced and sophisticated navigation systems presently offered out there. Together with the built-in smart and intelligent fish finder know-how as well as a hardy construction which will withstand any sort of climate, the Raymarine A57D provides you excellent worth to your funds. This helps make it the ideal [...])
- Scuba Octopus Regulator (Find Bargain Scuba Octopus Regulators
As you choose a Scuba Octopus Regulators graphic beneath, you will automatically go to a different article which contains informative product information to assist you to decide, if you want to purchase these bargain priced and high quality octopus dive regulator, diving regulator, or scuba diving regulator products.
Thank you for visiting [...])
- Oceanic Scuba Regulator (Purchase Bargain Oceanic Scuba Regulators
As you choose a Oceanic Scuba Regulators picture below, this action will open an additional web page that contains interesting details to allow you to determine, whether you want to acquire these bargain priced and top quality Oceanic dive regulator, diving regulator, or scuba diving regulator sales deals.
We are happy you [...])
- Marine Safety Equipment (By selecting a Marine Safety Equipment photograph beneath, this action will open a separate page that has useful information to help you decide to buy these discounted plus attractive boat safety gear deals. We hope you like our Marine Safety Equipment and Boating Safety Equipment store. On this page you will find the personal flotation [...])
- Boat Top Cover (A great way to enjoy your local waterways is on a Rinker boat and to get the most enjoyment from your boat it is essential to purchase a Rinker boat cover to protect your vessel against adverse weather conditions. You can expect to spend in the vicinity of 0 for this type of cover [...])
- Boat Console Cover (No matter where your home is, if you leave your vessel unattended or unused for longer than 7 days, you simply must have it protected in some way from the vagaries of nature, people and wildlife. Many people transport their boat from the boat dock to a storage area using a trailer when the boat [...])
- Scuba Dive Rebreather (Many people consider Florida a divers dream come true. This is because Florida is composed of over 1,700 islands and the Keys that stretch over 150 miles there are many different places to go diving. The waters are calm, clear, and full with beautiful and unique sea life and colorful coral. You can visit some [...])
- Saltwater Boat (Saltwater Inshore Fishing Boats
By selecting a Discount Saltwater Inshore Fishing Boats snapshot lower down, we will take you to a separate page which has informative product information to acquire these select saltwater inshore fishing boats and saltwater deep sea fishing boats. Thanks for coming to our Discount Boats, Boat Parts, and Boating Equipment online shop. [...])
- 16- Incidents Related by James McGough — about the Titanic (Women forced into the life-boats--Why some men were saved before women--Asked to man life-boats.
Chapter 16 -- Sinking of the Titanic and Great Sea Disasters -- Logan Marshall (1912)
Surrounded by his wife and members of his family, James McGough, of Philadelphia, a buyer for the Gimbel Brothers, whose fate had been in doubt, recited a [...])
- Dock Cleat (While you may think that a marina is just a marina and you may not give much thought to the idea of what services they offer, you may want to think again. As any career boating enthusiast could easily let you know, the marina you choose is one of the most important decisions you’ll ever [...])
- Child Flotation Suit (By selecting a Child Flotation Suit snapshot lower down, we will take you to a separate page that contains all of the details you need to acquire these very attractive boat safety gear choices. We appreciate your patronage at our Marine Safety Equipment and Boating Safety Equipment online shop. On this page you will find [...])