Hawaiian Dive Boat
.... Go back to Part 1: My First Scuba Diving Vacation
Back to our first diving trip off the Big Island on a tourist dive boat. On shore, the crew confirmed that we had all the necessary equipment. The dive company was supplying any equipment that we did not have. None of the tourists on the trip had brought any equipment of their own besides masks and fins, so all of us had to be fitted with oxygen tanks, breathing regulators, vests, and weight belts. Since this equipment was pretty heavy, we did not bother with it until we were on the boat and out near the dive site. It took about a half hour for the boat to arrive at the dive site and to set the anchor.
We looked down at an extensive coral reef that they told us was twenty five to thirty feet deep and seemed to stretch of several acres. Clearly we never could have gotten close to see this reef snorkeling. It was not because we were anchored at least several hundred yards of the shoreline, it was the sheer depth. While twenty five or so feet of water is not a lot for an experienced diver, it is about as deep as a novice should try on their first dive or dives.
While this does not seem like much depth, for about each fifteen feet of water you increase the pressure by about another atmosphere. So the pressure of all the atmosphere above you, when you are standing on the shore at sea level gets doubled when you go down about fifteen feet. If you go down another fifteen feet you add another atmosphere of pressure to the situation. It is like fifteen feet of water weighs about as much as all the miles of air above you on dry land at the shore. This turns out to be pretty important to safety when you are diving as Tina, in particular, found out.
All of us novice tourist divers were on deck listening to the crew tell us about what to expect and how to react if they had a problem. About 10 of us would be diving in addition to the three crew members who would be diving down with us to watch over things. We were told several things to pay attention to. The first had little to do with diving safety, but had more to do with the quality of our experience. They said that while with snorkeling it was often suggested that you spit on the interior of your mask and rub it around to ensure that your mask would not fog up, this would not necessarily be a reliable method for diving. While it could work for many, when the spit on the lenses method fails while snorkeling all you need to do is to get your head out of the water and spit again. This does not work thirty feet down.
There are ways to let water into your mask to clear the fog and then use your nostrils and air from the tank to clear the water from your mask by doing a scuba mask purge. While this is a technique that all divers learn, it is not something they wanted to have us complete novices try at thirty feet. It works and it is reliable, but water in a mask and an inexperienced diver could lead to panic at 30 feet of depth. Instead, they had a formulation of liquid to use to cut the fogging of your dive mask lenses. We each took a few drops on each lens and rubbed it around and nobody had any diving mask fogging problems that day. By the way, there are some home made recipes that you can find on the internet about how to use diluted clear dishwashing liquid or other alternatives to pre place good old saliva, but I have never bothered to find them. The reason is that I bought a small bottle of lens clearing fluid called No-Fog Goop from Snorkel Bob’s in Hawaii.
Snorkel Bob’s was this chain of dive shops and Snorkel Bob’s had these ubiquitous small advertising signs all over that show a shark mouth. These ever present advertising signs were pretty stupid looking, but there were some many of them that we got to chanting Snorkel Bob, whenever we saw the signs as we drove around. Well, at least Steven and I did. Tabatha and Tina tied of this game after the first day, but since women apparently are smarter than men, Steven and I kept it up for the whole trip. Anyway, the reason why I never got around to making some myself is that this Snorkel Bob’s No-Fog Goop has lasted twenty years and I still have a third of this small bottle left. And, it not as if I do not use it. I have a pool and a couple of kids and we use it on our goggles whenever we swim in the summer. The trick to conserving this anti-fog dive mask fluid is simple. Keep it up high on a shelf in the kitchen, so that the kids cannot reach it. If I let the munchkins dispense it, it would have been gone in one summer.
<< Go back to Part 1: My First Scuba Diving Vacation
Snorkeling and Scuba Diving
- Scuba Dive Purge Mask (Purchase Discounted Dive Purge Masks
If you pick any Dive Purge Masks photo lower down, you will be taken to a different web page where you will find interesting details to help you to determine, if you want to purchase these bargain priced and top quality purge scuba mask, snorkeling mask, or purge face mask sales [...])
- Art of Fly Fishing (More and more people around the world for all walks of life are fishing as a form of relaxing and pleasure. Perhaps fishing is a form of mantra but to most it is an art. This form of art, which most people have invested in lots of time and money and even, pasted on from [...])
- Kayak Vest (After you select a Kayak Vest picture here, we will take you to an additional page where you will find all of the details you need to purchase these bargain priced and attractive boat safety gear deals. We hope you like our Marine Safety Equipment and Boating Safety Equipment store salesroom. Here you can get [...])
- 6-Disaster Strikes Towing Our Renovated Wood Boat (Disaster Strikes Towing Our Renovated Wood Boat
We were on schedule and coming up on Lynchburg, Virginia at about 2PM when disaster struck. I was the second car in line and was driving our family minivan at a safe distance behind Frank and his SUV and boat. To my amazement the trailer was fine one minute [...])
- Swim Fins (Scuba Diving has been taking over the world, and is getting even more popular. As things progress and new techniques for diving come about, it will become important to start considering new items and equipment as well. As things carry on improving, future generations will need to check out new ways to go diving. The [...])
- 21- Searching for the Dead — of The Titanic Disaster (Sending out the Mackay-Bennett and Minia--Bremen passengers see bodies--Identifying bodies--Confusion in names--Recoveries.
Chapter 21 -- Sinking of the Titanic and Great Sea Disasters -- Logan Marshall (1912)
A few days after the disaster the cable steamer Mackay-Bennett was sent out by the White Star Line to cruise in the vicinity of the disaster and search for [...])
- Cressi Scuba Regulator (Shop for Bargain Cressi Scuba Regulators
By selecting a Cressi Scuba Regulators snapshot below, you will automatically go to an additional web page with all of the details to enable you to figure out, whether you would like to acquire these discounted and high quality Cressi dive regulator, diving regulator, or scuba diving regulator sales deals.
- 22- Criticism of Ismay — Managing Director of the White Star Line (Criminal and cowardly conduct charged--Proper caution not exercised when presence of icebergs was known--Should have stayed on board to help in work of rescue--Selfish and unsympathetic actions on board the Carpathia--Ismay's defense--William E. Carter's statement.
Chapter 22 -- Sinking of the Titanic and Great Sea Disasters -- Logan Marshall (1912)
From the moment that Bruce Ismay's [...])
- Diver DVD (Diving sometimes considered only as a holiday, but it is fast becoming a strong sport! Any where in the world there is a Scuba diving destination, and now people are getting more and more into it. However there is a slump in the amount of people that are learning to dive. Although there are many [...])
- Marine Safety Equipment (By selecting a Marine Safety Equipment photograph beneath, this action will open a separate page that has useful information to help you decide to buy these discounted plus attractive boat safety gear deals. We hope you like our Marine Safety Equipment and Boating Safety Equipment store. On this page you will find the personal flotation [...])
- Northstar GPS Fish Finder (Northstar Marine Electronics
Finally, you have that boat that you have dreamed about for so many years. But before you take it out for a great day on the water, you need to outfit it with electronic accessories that will make your boating experience safer and more fun. Northstar Marine Electronics knows exactly what you need [...])
- Boat Winch (Winches used as a tool for lifting heavy loads, are typically attached with heavy transport vehicles like sail boats, toe wagons, wagons and other off-road cars. Boat winches as the name explains are attached with the sailing boats. Talking about the composition of these winches, it is an significant factor to reassure [...])
- Sailing in Greece (Summer is underway and the perfect vacation is not unobtainable. With the rich culture of Europe, sailing on the coastlines of the Mediterranean Sea offers a truly unparalleled experience. There is exquisite art, fine cuisine, and breathtaking architecture along each port and coastline. See Europe like no other will by sailing in lovely blue waters.
- Scuba Depth Gauge (Find Bargain Scuba Depth Gauges
If you pick any Scuba Depth Gauges graphic lower down, you will be taken to an additional web page which contains informative product information to assist you to figure out, whether you want to buy these discount priced and excellent quality diving depth gauge, scuba dive depth gauge, or scuba depth [...])
- 23- The Financial Loss of the Titanic Wreck (Titanic not fully insured--Valuable cargo and mail--No chance for salvage--Life insurance loss--Loss to the Carpathia.
Chapter 23 -- Sinking of the Titanic and Great Sea Disasters -- Logan Marshall (1912)
So great was the interest in the tragedy and so profound the grief at the tremendous loss of life that for a time the financial loss [...])
- Scuba Octopus Regulator (Find Bargain Scuba Octopus Regulators
As you choose a Scuba Octopus Regulators graphic beneath, you will automatically go to a different article which contains informative product information to assist you to decide, if you want to purchase these bargain priced and high quality octopus dive regulator, diving regulator, or scuba diving regulator products.
Thank you for visiting [...])
- Aluminum Boat Propeller (Boat propellers that are cheap, easy to install and offer an excellent straightforward method to repair any damage you may incur. You'll never should tote around another propeller in its entirety again. Boat propellers return in a dizzying array of sizes and configurations. Most outboard propellers work a explicit whole although the propeller size might [...])
- FuzionX Life Vest (Get Discounted FuzionX Life Jackets
As you choose a FuzionX Life Jackets graphic here, we will take you to a separate page where you will find informative product information to assist you to determine, whether you need to acquire these discount priced and high quality FuzionX life jacket sales deals.
We appreciate your patronage at our Discount [...])
- Scuba Diving Mask (By selecting a Scuba Diving Masks photo here, you will be taken to a separate page which has all of the details you need to get these wonderful and high quality scuba dive mask deals. We appreciate your patronage at our Discount Scuba Diving Equipment and Snorkeling Gear online salesroom. We help you quickly locate [...])
- Spearfishing Gear (By selecting a Spearfishing Gear picture below, we will take you to another web page that has useful information to help you decide to buy these discounted plus desirable spearfishing equipment bargains. We appreciate your patronage at our Discount Scuba Diving Equipment and Snorkeling Gear online shop. Here you can locate easily the spear fishing [...])