.... Go back to Part 1: My First Scuba Diving Vacation
Back to our first diving trip off the Big Island on a tourist dive boat. On shore, the crew confirmed that we had all the necessary equipment. The dive company was supplying any equipment that we did not have. None of the tourists on the trip had brought any equipment of their own besides masks and fins, so all of us had to be fitted with oxygen tanks, breathing regulators, vests, and weight belts. Since this equipment was pretty heavy, we did not bother with it until we were on the boat and out near the dive site. It took about a half hour for the boat to arrive at the dive site and to set the anchor.
We looked down at an extensive coral reef that they told us was twenty five to thirty feet deep and seemed to stretch of several acres. Clearly we never could have gotten close to see this reef snorkeling. It was not because we were anchored at least several hundred yards of the shoreline, it was the sheer depth. While twenty five or so feet of water is not a lot for an experienced diver, it is about as deep as a novice should try on their first dive or dives.
While this does not seem like much depth, for about each fifteen feet of water you increase the pressure by about another atmosphere. So the pressure of all the atmosphere above you, when you are standing on the shore at sea level gets doubled when you go down about fifteen feet. If you go down another fifteen feet you add another atmosphere of pressure to the situation. It is like fifteen feet of water weighs about as much as all the miles of air above you on dry land at the shore. This turns out to be pretty important to safety when you are diving as Tina, in particular, found out.
All of us novice tourist divers were on deck listening to the crew tell us about what to expect and how to react if they had a problem. About 10 of us would be diving in addition to the three crew members who would be diving down with us to watch over things. We were told several things to pay attention to. The first had little to do with diving safety, but had more to do with the quality of our experience. They said that while with snorkeling it was often suggested that you spit on the interior of your mask and rub it around to ensure that your mask would not fog up, this would not necessarily be a reliable method for diving. While it could work for many, when the spit on the lenses method fails while snorkeling all you need to do is to get your head out of the water and spit again. This does not work thirty feet down.
There are ways to let water into your mask to clear the fog and then use your nostrils and air from the tank to clear the water from your mask by doing a scuba mask purge. While this is a technique that all divers learn, it is not something they wanted to have us complete novices try at thirty feet. It works and it is reliable, but water in a mask and an inexperienced diver could lead to panic at 30 feet of depth. Instead, they had a formulation of liquid to use to cut the fogging of your dive mask lenses. We each took a few drops on each lens and rubbed it around and nobody had any diving mask fogging problems that day. By the way, there are some home made recipes that you can find on the internet about how to use diluted clear dishwashing liquid or other alternatives to pre place good old saliva, but I have never bothered to find them. The reason is that I bought a small bottle of lens clearing fluid called No-Fog Goop from Snorkel Bob’s in Hawaii.
Snorkel Bob’s was this chain of dive shops and Snorkel Bob’s had these ubiquitous small advertising signs all over that show a shark mouth. These ever present advertising signs were pretty stupid looking, but there were some many of them that we got to chanting Snorkel Bob, whenever we saw the signs as we drove around. Well, at least Steven and I did. Tabatha and Tina tied of this game after the first day, but since women apparently are smarter than men, Steven and I kept it up for the whole trip. Anyway, the reason why I never got around to making some myself is that this Snorkel Bob’s No-Fog Goop has lasted twenty years and I still have a third of this small bottle left. And, it not as if I do not use it. I have a pool and a couple of kids and we use it on our goggles whenever we swim in the summer. The trick to conserving this anti-fog dive mask fluid is simple. Keep it up high on a shelf in the kitchen, so that the kids cannot reach it. If I let the munchkins dispense it, it would have been gone in one summer.
<< Go back to Part 1: My First Scuba Diving Vacation
Snorkeling and Scuba Diving
- Mares Spear Gun (Find Bargain Mares Spear Guns
If you pick any Mares Spear Guns picture lower down, you will automatically go to an additional webpage which contains interesting details to allow you to figure out, if you would like to buy these discounted and top quality Mares speargun, Mares spearfishing gun, or Mares speargun equipment inventory specials.
Thanks for [...])
- Raymarine Chartplotter Fishfinder (Should you be new to boating and just starting to get your gear together, you may not be aware yet of all the options associated with marine GPS techniques. If you are also a fisherman, there are many choices that include both navigational qualities and also fishfinder functions. In this article, we are going to [...])
- Boat Dehumidifier (Electronic components of your boat can become corroded by dampness. Mildews and molds caused by it can destroy upholstry. Thus a good boat humidifier can be used to control moisture levels so your boat smells clean. However, not every dehumidifier will work equally effectively at controlling the humidity levels. When looking for a good marine [...])
- 13- The Story of Charles F. Hurd — How the Titanic Sank (How the Titanic sank--Water strewn with dead bodies-- Victims met death with hymn on their lips.
Chapter 13 -- Sinking of the Titanic and Great Sea Disasters -- Logan Marshall (1912)
The Story of how the Titanic sank is told by Charles F. Hurd, who was a passenger on the Carpathia.
He praised highly the courage of [...])
- Diving CD (There do seem to be a lot of people out there that think that going on one of those diving holidays is a complete waste of time but this really is the not the case at all and in fact it can work out very well and teach people a great new skill that they have [...])
- Spearfishing Gear (By selecting a Spearfishing Gear picture below, we will take you to another web page that has useful information to help you decide to buy these discounted plus desirable spearfishing equipment bargains. We appreciate your patronage at our Discount Scuba Diving Equipment and Snorkeling Gear online shop. Here you can locate easily the spear fishing [...])
- 09- In the Drifting Life Boats of the Titanic (Sorrow and suffering--The survivors see the Titanic go down with their loved ones on board--A night of agonizing suspense--Women help to row--Help arrives--Picking up the life boats.
Chapter 9 -- Sinking of the Titanic and Great Sea Disasters -- Logan Marshall (1912)
<<< Go back to Chapter 8
Go on to Chapter 10 >>>
Sixteen boats were in the [...])
- Sailing Safety Harness (Prepping one's sailboat is essential for enjoying the perfect vacation for sailors cruising along familiar and foreign coastlines. Although outfitting a sailboat with the proper sailboat parts is extremely important, it is also important to equip sailors with efficient navigation tools and safety gear.
Venturing out on the sea for an extended period of time offers [...])
- Child Swim Vest (As you choose a Child Swim Vests picture here, this action will open another web page which contains useful information to help you decide to purchase these bargain priced and useful water safety gear bargains. Thanks for coming to our Marine Safety Equipment and Boating Safety Equipment online shop. On this page you will find [...])
- Stainless Steel Dive Knife (Scuba diving is one of those recreational sports that must be taken seriously. If it is not then the chance of getting injured rises and you really don't want to hurt yourself or others around you, no? To begin with it's the second largest marine reserve in the world, UNESCO has named it a world [...])
- 10- On Board the Carpathia, Titanic Rescue Ship (Aid for the suffering and hysterical--Burying the dead--Vote of thanks to Captain Rostron of the Carpathia--Identifying those saved-- Communicating with land--The passage to New York.
Chapter 10 -- Sinking of the Titanic and Great Sea Disasters -- Logan Marshall (1912)
If the scenes in the life-boats were tear-bringing, hardly less so was the arrival of the [...])
- Yacht Anchor (Would you be purchasing your own yacht? then you might be thinking that a yacht magazine can help you decide on this. There might have been some interesting stories that may have influenced you, am I right? If that is the case then let me help you out here. You might have heard more [...])
- US Divers Scuba Regulator (Shop for Bargain US Divers Scuba Regulators
When you click any US Divers Scuba Regulators snapshot here, you will be taken to a different article that contains all of the details to enable you to decide, if you want to acquire these discounted and top quality US Divers dive regulator, diving regulator, or scuba diving regulator [...])
- Forward Looking Sonar (You may always be looking for a partner to your water navigation experience yet this can be difficult if you do not have any idea of the product you should choose. However, this difficulty can be eliminated once you have read through features packed in such items. Therefore, if you are looking for such items, [...])
- Yamaha Neoprene Life Vest (Shop for Bargain Yamaha Neoprene Life Vests
After you select a Yamaha Neoprene Life Vests photo below, you will go to a separate page with informative product information to enable you to figure out, if you would like to acquire these bargain and top quality Yamaha neoprene life vest products.
Thanks for coming to this Discount Marine, [...])
- Adult Snorkel Set (A few years ago my family and I went to Florida and we were lucky enough to get the chance to visit Discovery Cove for the day. Discovery Cove is a 30-acre retreat, where not only do you get the chance to swim one to one with dolphins, but also have the opportunity to snorkel, [...])
- Scuba Diving Vacation (When you're under the waves, the world can seem a very different place. Excepting the possibility of catchy, irritating songs orchestrated by cartoon crabs, life under the sea is a remarkable experience, especially as it so ably inverts everything we know about a place when we're above the waves. A 'desert island' getaway like the [...])
- Aluminium Fishing Boat (What might be even more valuable to a fisherman than his rod and reel is the vessel he is fishing in. The boat that's utilized is critical to the sport and they come in different styles and every has their own unique features. Every individual who is an avid fisherman has their favorite boat to [...])
- Used Scuba Gear (Scuba diving is usually a great activity. There's a complete globe to explore beneath the water, but becoming correctly outfitted is an expensive venture. Scuba diving is usually price prohibitive for some individuals to pursue, but there are choices to purchasing all brand new scuba equipment and it's well worth your time to take a [...])
- Snorkeling Fins (By selecting a Snorkeling Fins picture below, we will take you to another web page with what you need to know to purchase these bargain priced and select snorkeling equipment deals. We are glad that you have come to this Discount Scuba Diving Equipment and Snorkeling Gear store salesroom. Here you can get the snorkel [...])