Hawaiian Dive Boat
.... Go back to Part 1: My First Scuba Diving Vacation
Back to our first diving trip off the Big Island on a tourist dive boat. On shore, the crew confirmed that we had all the necessary equipment. The dive company was supplying any equipment that we did not have. None of the tourists on the trip had brought any equipment of their own besides masks and fins, so all of us had to be fitted with oxygen tanks, breathing regulators, vests, and weight belts. Since this equipment was pretty heavy, we did not bother with it until we were on the boat and out near the dive site. It took about a half hour for the boat to arrive at the dive site and to set the anchor.
We looked down at an extensive coral reef that they told us was twenty five to thirty feet deep and seemed to stretch of several acres. Clearly we never could have gotten close to see this reef snorkeling. It was not because we were anchored at least several hundred yards of the shoreline, it was the sheer depth. While twenty five or so feet of water is not a lot for an experienced diver, it is about as deep as a novice should try on their first dive or dives.
While this does not seem like much depth, for about each fifteen feet of water you increase the pressure by about another atmosphere. So the pressure of all the atmosphere above you, when you are standing on the shore at sea level gets doubled when you go down about fifteen feet. If you go down another fifteen feet you add another atmosphere of pressure to the situation. It is like fifteen feet of water weighs about as much as all the miles of air above you on dry land at the shore. This turns out to be pretty important to safety when you are diving as Tina, in particular, found out.
All of us novice tourist divers were on deck listening to the crew tell us about what to expect and how to react if they had a problem. About 10 of us would be diving in addition to the three crew members who would be diving down with us to watch over things. We were told several things to pay attention to. The first had little to do with diving safety, but had more to do with the quality of our experience. They said that while with snorkeling it was often suggested that you spit on the interior of your mask and rub it around to ensure that your mask would not fog up, this would not necessarily be a reliable method for diving. While it could work for many, when the spit on the lenses method fails while snorkeling all you need to do is to get your head out of the water and spit again. This does not work thirty feet down.
There are ways to let water into your mask to clear the fog and then use your nostrils and air from the tank to clear the water from your mask by doing a scuba mask purge. While this is a technique that all divers learn, it is not something they wanted to have us complete novices try at thirty feet. It works and it is reliable, but water in a mask and an inexperienced diver could lead to panic at 30 feet of depth. Instead, they had a formulation of liquid to use to cut the fogging of your dive mask lenses. We each took a few drops on each lens and rubbed it around and nobody had any diving mask fogging problems that day. By the way, there are some home made recipes that you can find on the internet about how to use diluted clear dishwashing liquid or other alternatives to pre place good old saliva, but I have never bothered to find them. The reason is that I bought a small bottle of lens clearing fluid called No-Fog Goop from Snorkel Bob’s in Hawaii.
Snorkel Bob’s was this chain of dive shops and Snorkel Bob’s had these ubiquitous small advertising signs all over that show a shark mouth. These ever present advertising signs were pretty stupid looking, but there were some many of them that we got to chanting Snorkel Bob, whenever we saw the signs as we drove around. Well, at least Steven and I did. Tabatha and Tina tied of this game after the first day, but since women apparently are smarter than men, Steven and I kept it up for the whole trip. Anyway, the reason why I never got around to making some myself is that this Snorkel Bob’s No-Fog Goop has lasted twenty years and I still have a third of this small bottle left. And, it not as if I do not use it. I have a pool and a couple of kids and we use it on our goggles whenever we swim in the summer. The trick to conserving this anti-fog dive mask fluid is simple. Keep it up high on a shelf in the kitchen, so that the kids cannot reach it. If I let the munchkins dispense it, it would have been gone in one summer.
<< Go back to Part 1: My First Scuba Diving Vacation
Snorkeling and Scuba Diving
- Sea Doo Seascooter (As diving becomes more popular around the world you will see and increase of these machines but that means that they will be cheaper. They have sleek designs these days and are made to slice through the water a speed with minimal resistance. You will find that you have more time. The Sea Doo Seascooter [...])
- Aluminum Canoe (Whether you like water sports or simply like to ride the waves, a canoe may assist you indulge in both with equal élan. There are numerous varieties of canoes obtainable in the market today with their individual group of advantages and disadvantages. Here, we look at a few of the more common canoe varieties and [...])
- Divers Forum (The West Coast Divers Commercial Divers Forum
For your information, this web page was formerly the West Coast Divers Commercial Divers Forum, which apparently was abandoned in 2005 or 2006. The West Coast Divers Forum was also known as WC Divers, and it had a PileDrivers Forum, a West Coast Commercial Divers Forum, an Items For [...])
- Youth Diving Gear (Find Discount Youth Diving Gear
If you pick any Youth Diving Gear graphic below, this action will open a different page that contains interesting details to assist you to decide, whether you want to acquire these bargain and excellent quality youth diving equipment, diving gear, or youth scuba diving gear inventory specials.
We appreciate your patronage at [...])
- 29- The Senatorial Investigation — of the Titanic Shipwreck (Prompt action of the Government--Senate committee probes disaster and brings out details--Testimony of Ismay, officers, crew passengers and other witnesses.
Chapter 29 -- Sinking of the Titanic and Great Sea Disasters -- Logan Marshall (1912)
Public sentiment with regard to the Titanic disaster was reflected in the prompt action of the United States Government.
On April 17th [...])
- Speedo Swim Vest (Find Discount Speedo Swim Vests
When you click any Speedo Swim Vests photo below, you will be taken to another article that contains all of the details to help you to figure out, if you want to acquire these discount priced and top quality Speedo swim vest sales deals.
We are happy you have come to our [...])
- Aluminum Boat (Aluminum fishing boats are manufactured with great looks and performance previously solely offered with the big heavy fiberglass models. The advanced technology nowadays makes the aluminum fishing boats appear sleek. Aluminum fishing boats can last a very long time with proper maintenance. When you are done fishing, wash both the interior plus outside. Aluminum fishing [...])
- HO Sports Life Jacket (Get Bargain HO Sports Life Jackets
By selecting a HO Sports Life Jackets snapshot below, you will automatically go to a separate article which has all of the details to enable you to decide, if you want to purchase these discount priced and high quality HO Sports life jacket sales deals.
Thanks for coming to our Discount [...])
- Scuba Diving Knife (As you choose a Scuba Diving Knives picture below, this action will open another web page where you will find informative product information to buy these discounted plus select scuba dive knifes merchandise. Welcome to this Discount Scuba Diving Equipment and Snorkeling Gear online salesroom. We assist in rapidly finding the diver knives choices that [...])
- Marine GPS (A Palm GPS has the advantage of being able to increase the capacity of the personal navigation system by substituting the graphic display device and offering supplementary portable orientation functions. Regular products in the Palm GPS category have larger displays, more memory space and a quicker processing rate. The Palm thus ranges between a stand [...])
- Adult Snorkel Set (A few years ago my family and I went to Florida and we were lucky enough to get the chance to visit Discovery Cove for the day. Discovery Cove is a 30-acre retreat, where not only do you get the chance to swim one to one with dolphins, but also have the opportunity to snorkel, [...])
- Stiletto Propeller (As any boat glides through the water, it appears to the casual observer that its movement has a fluidity of peace and serenity. But below the water level there are many things that are in constant action to make the boat move. That easy grace that boats achieve is only made possible by the [...])
- Inflatable Boat Cover (The original inflatable boats first appeared during the nineteenth century when animal hides were filled with air and used to make pontoons. They became very popular after the end of the Second World War when the US military began selling surplus inflatable boats to civilian boaters. Boating enthusiasts soon embraced this inexpensive alternative means of [...])
- Inflatable Boat Cover (The first inflatable boats appeared in the early part of the nineteenth century when pontoons were made from inflated animal skins. However, they didn’t become really popular until the end of the Second World War when the US military began to sell surplus inflatable boats to the civilian population. Boaters soon discovered an inexpensive alternative [...])
- Art of Fly Fishing (More and more people around the world for all walks of life are fishing as a form of relaxing and pleasure. Perhaps fishing is a form of mantra but to most it is an art. This form of art, which most people have invested in lots of time and money and even, pasted on from [...])
- Water Ski Vest (After picking a Water Ski Vest picture below, you will go to an additional page that has useful information to help you decide to buy these discounted plus select boat safety gear deals. We appreciate your patronage at our Marine Safety Equipment and Boating Safety Equipment store. We assist in rapidly finding the personal flotation [...])
- US Divers Scuba Regulator (Shop for Bargain US Divers Scuba Regulators
When you click any US Divers Scuba Regulators snapshot here, you will be taken to a different article that contains all of the details to enable you to decide, if you want to acquire these discounted and top quality US Divers dive regulator, diving regulator, or scuba diving regulator [...])
- Marine LED Boat Light (There are a few safety features on a sailboat that should undoubtedly be installed. On the sailboat, below deck, there should be fire alarms installed. It is equally as important to test this boat fire alarm once a month to make sure it is working adequately and properly. Sailors are left unknowingly vulnerable when the [...])
- Scuba Diving Watch (As you choose a Scuba Diving Watches photo here, this action will open another web page which has interesting details about how to purchase these bargain priced and useful scuba dive watches deals. We hope you like our Discount Scuba Diving Equipment and Snorkeling Gear store salesroom. Here you can locate easily the scuba diver [...])
- Pontoon Boat (Discount Pontoon Fishing Boats
If you pick any Pontoon Fishing Boat picture here, this action will open an additional page which has informative product information to acquire these very attractive pontoon fishing boats and fly fishing pontoon boats. We appreciate your patronage at our Discount Boats, Boat Parts, and Boating Equipment online shop. We assist in [...])