Hawaiian Dive Boat
.... Go back to Part 1: My First Scuba Diving Vacation
Back to our first diving trip off the Big Island on a tourist dive boat. On shore, the crew confirmed that we had all the necessary equipment. The dive company was supplying any equipment that we did not have. None of the tourists on the trip had brought any equipment of their own besides masks and fins, so all of us had to be fitted with oxygen tanks, breathing regulators, vests, and weight belts. Since this equipment was pretty heavy, we did not bother with it until we were on the boat and out near the dive site. It took about a half hour for the boat to arrive at the dive site and to set the anchor.
We looked down at an extensive coral reef that they told us was twenty five to thirty feet deep and seemed to stretch of several acres. Clearly we never could have gotten close to see this reef snorkeling. It was not because we were anchored at least several hundred yards of the shoreline, it was the sheer depth. While twenty five or so feet of water is not a lot for an experienced diver, it is about as deep as a novice should try on their first dive or dives.
While this does not seem like much depth, for about each fifteen feet of water you increase the pressure by about another atmosphere. So the pressure of all the atmosphere above you, when you are standing on the shore at sea level gets doubled when you go down about fifteen feet. If you go down another fifteen feet you add another atmosphere of pressure to the situation. It is like fifteen feet of water weighs about as much as all the miles of air above you on dry land at the shore. This turns out to be pretty important to safety when you are diving as Tina, in particular, found out.
All of us novice tourist divers were on deck listening to the crew tell us about what to expect and how to react if they had a problem. About 10 of us would be diving in addition to the three crew members who would be diving down with us to watch over things. We were told several things to pay attention to. The first had little to do with diving safety, but had more to do with the quality of our experience. They said that while with snorkeling it was often suggested that you spit on the interior of your mask and rub it around to ensure that your mask would not fog up, this would not necessarily be a reliable method for diving. While it could work for many, when the spit on the lenses method fails while snorkeling all you need to do is to get your head out of the water and spit again. This does not work thirty feet down.
There are ways to let water into your mask to clear the fog and then use your nostrils and air from the tank to clear the water from your mask by doing a scuba mask purge. While this is a technique that all divers learn, it is not something they wanted to have us complete novices try at thirty feet. It works and it is reliable, but water in a mask and an inexperienced diver could lead to panic at 30 feet of depth. Instead, they had a formulation of liquid to use to cut the fogging of your dive mask lenses. We each took a few drops on each lens and rubbed it around and nobody had any diving mask fogging problems that day. By the way, there are some home made recipes that you can find on the internet about how to use diluted clear dishwashing liquid or other alternatives to pre place good old saliva, but I have never bothered to find them. The reason is that I bought a small bottle of lens clearing fluid called No-Fog Goop from Snorkel Bob’s in Hawaii.
Snorkel Bob’s was this chain of dive shops and Snorkel Bob’s had these ubiquitous small advertising signs all over that show a shark mouth. These ever present advertising signs were pretty stupid looking, but there were some many of them that we got to chanting Snorkel Bob, whenever we saw the signs as we drove around. Well, at least Steven and I did. Tabatha and Tina tied of this game after the first day, but since women apparently are smarter than men, Steven and I kept it up for the whole trip. Anyway, the reason why I never got around to making some myself is that this Snorkel Bob’s No-Fog Goop has lasted twenty years and I still have a third of this small bottle left. And, it not as if I do not use it. I have a pool and a couple of kids and we use it on our goggles whenever we swim in the summer. The trick to conserving this anti-fog dive mask fluid is simple. Keep it up high on a shelf in the kitchen, so that the kids cannot reach it. If I let the munchkins dispense it, it would have been gone in one summer.
<< Go back to Part 1: My First Scuba Diving Vacation
Snorkeling and Scuba Diving
- Diving CD (There do seem to be a lot of people out there that think that going on one of those diving holidays is a complete waste of time but this really is the not the case at all and in fact it can work out very well and teach people a great new skill that they have [...])
- Kayak Vest (After you select a Kayak Vest picture here, we will take you to an additional page where you will find all of the details you need to purchase these bargain priced and attractive boat safety gear deals. We hope you like our Marine Safety Equipment and Boating Safety Equipment store salesroom. Here you can get [...])
- Furuno Heading Sensor (Are you excited to head down to a trip through the sea but at the same time afraid that you might get lost along the way? Luckily, you can use many types of navigation equipment to help remove that certain fear you are having at the moment. You only need to pick the right equipment [...])
- Youth Scuba Diving Wetsuit (If you pick any Youth Scuba Diving Wetsuits photo underneath, you will automatically go to a different web page that contains what you need to know to buy these discounted plus select scuba dive wetsuit goods. We appreciate your patronage at our Discount Scuba Diving Equipment and Snorkeling Gear online shop. Here you can get [...])
- Scuba Weight Belt (Find Discounted Scuba Weight Belts
When you click any Scuba Weight Belts picture underneath, you will automatically go to an additional article which has all of the details to assist you to decide, if you want to get these discounted and top quality diving weight belt, scuba belt, or diving belt inventory specials.
Thank you for visiting [...])
- 03- The Maiden Voyage of the Titanic (Preparations for the voyage-Scenes of gaiety-The Titanic boat sails-Incidents of the Titanic voyage-A collision narrowly averted-The boat on fire-Warned of icebergs
Chapter 3 -- Sinking of the Titanic and Great Sea Disasters -- Logan Marshall (1912)
<<< Go back to Chapter 2
Go on to Chapter 4 >>>
Ever was an ill-starred voyage more auspiciously begun than when the [...])
- Electric Boat Motor (Learn how to Buy Electrical Boat Automobiles In today’s technology of electronics it was only a topic of time earlier than electrical boat cars turned into another benchmark in the electric revolution. There's no field that hasn’t seen the effects of electricity, and its benefits, in using equipment and units that help complements an individual [...])
- Boat Propeller (During the summer months many people like to head out on the water and go sailing and fishing. More and more people are deciding to buy their own boats so that they can enjoy the water whenever they want. Many people buy a used ship at the end of the season so that they can [...])
- HO Sports Life Jacket (Get Bargain HO Sports Life Jackets
By selecting a HO Sports Life Jackets snapshot below, you will automatically go to a separate article which has all of the details to enable you to decide, if you want to purchase these discount priced and high quality HO Sports life jacket sales deals.
Thanks for coming to our Discount [...])
- Scubapro Scuba Regulator (Find Bargain Scubapro Scuba Regulators
If you pick any Scubapro Scuba Regulators picture below, you will be taken to another webpage that contains interesting details to allow you to decide, whether you want to buy these bargain priced and excellent quality Scubapro dive regulator, diving regulator, or scuba diving regulator inventory specials.
We hope you like our [...])
- Marine Radio (So you've found the perfect boat. You are now ready to outfit it with boating electronics. You have a huge array of choices, which is good, but it may seem to make it confusing choosing from within them. Much will depend on the type of boater you are and the type of electronics you use [...])
- Bass Fishing Boat (Discount Bass Fishing Boats
After you select a Discount Bass Fishing Boats photo underneath, you will be taken to another web page which contains what you need to know to purchase these bargain priced and high quality freshwater bass fishing boats and lake bass fishing boats. Thanks for coming to our Discount Boats, Boat Parts, and [...])
- Inflatable Boat (After picking an Inflatable Boats photo here, this action will open a separate page which has what you need to know to purchase these bargain priced and useful boat safety gear deals. We hope you like our Marine Safety Equipment and Boating Safety Equipment store. We help you quickly locate the personal flotation devices and [...])
- Art of Fly Fishing (More and more people around the world for all walks of life are fishing as a form of relaxing and pleasure. Perhaps fishing is a form of mantra but to most it is an art. This form of art, which most people have invested in lots of time and money and even, pasted on from [...])
- Dive Rite Scuba Regulator (Find Discounted Dive Rite Scuba Regulators
When you click any Dive Rite Scuba Regulators photo here, you will automatically go to a separate article which has interesting details to help you to decide, if you would like to purchase these bargain priced and top quality Dive Rite dive regulator, diving regulator, or scuba diving regulator inventory [...])
- Group Scuba Diving (... Go back to Part 3: Scuba Diving Lessons and Safety
In addition, when you are wearing a diving mask, you are a bit like a horse with blinders. Normally, when you are on land, you can look to the side and use your peripheral vision to check where you are without turning your head. [...])
- Werner Paddle (Trips on your kayak offer fun and great satisfaction. However, long trips can cause fatigue of hands, arms, and joints. A good paddle and the right paddling technique will help eliminate stress on the body and fatigue. Werner Paddles have developed paddles, which can help you enjoy more time on the water. [...])
- Snorkel Set (As you choose a Snorkel Sets picture here, you will automatically go to a different web page that contains interesting details about how to buy these discounted plus attractive snorkeling equipment sets goods. We appreciate your patronage at our Discount Scuba Diving Equipment and Snorkeling Gear store salesroom. Here you can locate easily the snorkel [...])
- Child Life Vest (As you choose a Child Life Vest photo underneath, we will take you to an additional page which has useful information to help you decide to buy these discounted plus desirable water survival gear goods. We appreciate your patronage at our Marine Safety Equipment and Boat Safety Equipment store. Here you can locate easily the [...])
- Inflatable Raft (After you select an Inflatable Raft photo underneath, this action will open another web page which contains what you need to know to buy these discounted plus high quality boat safety gear products. Welcome to this Marine Safety Equipment and Boating Safety Equipment online shop. Here you can get the personal flotation devices and other [...])