Hawaiian Dive Boat
.... Go back to Part 1: My First Scuba Diving Vacation
Back to our first diving trip off the Big Island on a tourist dive boat. On shore, the crew confirmed that we had all the necessary equipment. The dive company was supplying any equipment that we did not have. None of the tourists on the trip had brought any equipment of their own besides masks and fins, so all of us had to be fitted with oxygen tanks, breathing regulators, vests, and weight belts. Since this equipment was pretty heavy, we did not bother with it until we were on the boat and out near the dive site. It took about a half hour for the boat to arrive at the dive site and to set the anchor.
We looked down at an extensive coral reef that they told us was twenty five to thirty feet deep and seemed to stretch of several acres. Clearly we never could have gotten close to see this reef snorkeling. It was not because we were anchored at least several hundred yards of the shoreline, it was the sheer depth. While twenty five or so feet of water is not a lot for an experienced diver, it is about as deep as a novice should try on their first dive or dives.
While this does not seem like much depth, for about each fifteen feet of water you increase the pressure by about another atmosphere. So the pressure of all the atmosphere above you, when you are standing on the shore at sea level gets doubled when you go down about fifteen feet. If you go down another fifteen feet you add another atmosphere of pressure to the situation. It is like fifteen feet of water weighs about as much as all the miles of air above you on dry land at the shore. This turns out to be pretty important to safety when you are diving as Tina, in particular, found out.
All of us novice tourist divers were on deck listening to the crew tell us about what to expect and how to react if they had a problem. About 10 of us would be diving in addition to the three crew members who would be diving down with us to watch over things. We were told several things to pay attention to. The first had little to do with diving safety, but had more to do with the quality of our experience. They said that while with snorkeling it was often suggested that you spit on the interior of your mask and rub it around to ensure that your mask would not fog up, this would not necessarily be a reliable method for diving. While it could work for many, when the spit on the lenses method fails while snorkeling all you need to do is to get your head out of the water and spit again. This does not work thirty feet down.
There are ways to let water into your mask to clear the fog and then use your nostrils and air from the tank to clear the water from your mask by doing a scuba mask purge. While this is a technique that all divers learn, it is not something they wanted to have us complete novices try at thirty feet. It works and it is reliable, but water in a mask and an inexperienced diver could lead to panic at 30 feet of depth. Instead, they had a formulation of liquid to use to cut the fogging of your dive mask lenses. We each took a few drops on each lens and rubbed it around and nobody had any diving mask fogging problems that day. By the way, there are some home made recipes that you can find on the internet about how to use diluted clear dishwashing liquid or other alternatives to pre place good old saliva, but I have never bothered to find them. The reason is that I bought a small bottle of lens clearing fluid called No-Fog Goop from Snorkel Bob’s in Hawaii.
Snorkel Bob’s was this chain of dive shops and Snorkel Bob’s had these ubiquitous small advertising signs all over that show a shark mouth. These ever present advertising signs were pretty stupid looking, but there were some many of them that we got to chanting Snorkel Bob, whenever we saw the signs as we drove around. Well, at least Steven and I did. Tabatha and Tina tied of this game after the first day, but since women apparently are smarter than men, Steven and I kept it up for the whole trip. Anyway, the reason why I never got around to making some myself is that this Snorkel Bob’s No-Fog Goop has lasted twenty years and I still have a third of this small bottle left. And, it not as if I do not use it. I have a pool and a couple of kids and we use it on our goggles whenever we swim in the summer. The trick to conserving this anti-fog dive mask fluid is simple. Keep it up high on a shelf in the kitchen, so that the kids cannot reach it. If I let the munchkins dispense it, it would have been gone in one summer.
<< Go back to Part 1: My First Scuba Diving Vacation
Snorkeling and Scuba Diving
- Boat Seat Cover ( Folks get helm seats for numerous motives, but commonly boats are got to fulfill 1 valuable dream of obtaining some thing which may well be taken into account not merely as a recreational car, also like a responsible expenditure. But, having nice treatment on the vessel may be the way for doing certain that [...])
- Northstar GPS Fish Finder (Northstar Marine Electronics
Finally, you have that boat that you have dreamed about for so many years. But before you take it out for a great day on the water, you need to outfit it with electronic accessories that will make your boating experience safer and more fun. Northstar Marine Electronics knows exactly what you need [...])
- 3-Renovating and Reviving a Custom-made Wooden Powerboat (Renovating and Reviving a Custom-made Wooden Powerboat
Our preliminary inspection of the boat showed that it was structurally sound, but it needed a lot of sanding, some touch-up, and a few coats of marine varnish. There is something about a wooden boat. You want it to shine, if you want to be seen in it.
There is [...])
- AIS Receiver (So, you may be wondering what marine electronics you need to sustain a safe and efficient operating craft.Having the proper boating electronics can not only help your fishing and cruising expeditions but can also prevent calamity and tragedy from striking. It is important to have the right marine electronics to ensure that you arrive home [...])
- Snorkel Vest (As you choose a Snorkel Vests photo here, you will automatically go to another web page which has interesting details about how to get these wonderful and attractive snorkeling equipment vest goods. Welcome to this Discount Scuba Diving Equipment and Snorkeling Gear online salesroom. We assist in rapidly finding the snorkel gear vest products that [...])
- Raymarine Raystar GPS (If you are a new comer to sailing and beginning to get your supplies together, you might not be aware yet of all the options related to marine GPS systems. If you're also a fisherman, there are plenty of possibilities that consist of both navigational features and also fishfinder functions. In this post, we are [...])
- Marine Radio (So you've found the perfect boat. You are now ready to outfit it with boating electronics. You have a huge array of choices, which is good, but it may seem to make it confusing choosing from within them. Much will depend on the type of boater you are and the type of electronics you use [...])
- Scuba Dive Purge Mask (Purchase Discounted Dive Purge Masks
If you pick any Dive Purge Masks photo lower down, you will be taken to a different web page where you will find interesting details to help you to determine, if you want to purchase these bargain priced and top quality purge scuba mask, snorkeling mask, or purge face mask sales [...])
- Aluminum Canoe (Whether you like water sports or simply like to ride the waves, a canoe may assist you indulge in both with equal élan. There are numerous varieties of canoes obtainable in the market today with their individual group of advantages and disadvantages. Here, we look at a few of the more common canoe varieties and [...])
- Poseidon Scuba Regulator (Once you have already taken the basic courses in scuba diving, you may want to know what it takes to become an advanced open water diver. This will give you more options when you're on vacation or want to be able to interact with more animals while diving without feeling uncomfortable. Here are some ways [...])
- VHF Marine Radio (After you select a VHF Marine Radio photo here, you will be taken to another web page that has all of the details you need to acquire these very desirable boat safety gear bargains. We hope you like our Marine Safety Equipment and Boating Safety Equipment preview showroom. We assist in rapidly finding the personal [...])
- 18- Story of the Steward – on The Titanic (Passengers and crew dying when taken aboard Carpathia--One woman saved a dog--English colonel swam for hours when boat with mother aboard capsized.
Chapter 18 -- Sinking of the Titanic and Great Sea Disasters -- Logan Marshall (1912)
Some of the most thrilling incidents connected with the rescue of the Titanic's survivors are told in the following [...])
- Ski Boat Seat (Water skiing is one of the most breath-taking water sports in the world. The speed of the boat dashing through the water, the splash of water damping the entire body, the air slapping on the face - everything seems so exciting. No one would want to miss that. If you enjoy water skiing and its [...])
- Womens Scuba Diving Wetsuit (By selecting a Womens Scuba Diving Wetsuits photograph beneath, you will go to an additional page which has interesting details about how to purchase these bargain priced and high quality scuba dive wetsuit choices. We are glad that you have come to this Discount Scuba Diving Equipment and Snorkeling Gear online salesroom. Here you can [...])
- Marine Receiver (Boat shows are great for new and experienced boaters alike
It doesn't matter if you were born on the water or if you just started lake boating with your buddies, a boat show may just be the perfect, fun outing for you to go to. Boat shows are held all over the country, from Seattle to [...])
- Aluminum Boat Propeller (Boat propellers that are cheap, easy to install and offer an excellent straightforward method to repair any damage you may incur. You'll never should tote around another propeller in its entirety again. Boat propellers return in a dizzying array of sizes and configurations. Most outboard propellers work a explicit whole although the propeller size might [...])
- Clear Scuba Dive Mask (Buy Bargain Clear Scuba Masks
After picking a Clear Scuba Masks picture lower down, we will take you to a separate web page which has interesting details to allow you to decide, if you would like to acquire these bargain priced and top quality clear scuba mask, snorkeling mask, or clear face mask inventory specials.
We are [...])
- Norcross Fish Finder (When it comes to marine electronics for fishing, you have a wide array of choices. In addition, you can even get an iPhone software called FishHead that tracks weather, tides, and lunar information! But for most people, fishing electronics usually brings to mind fish finders and GPS systems. They can be purchased separately, or [...])
- Scuba Diving Fins (If you pick any Scuba Diving Fins photo here, you will go to a different web page which contains useful information to help you decide to purchase these bargain priced and select scuba dive fins products. Thanks for coming to our Discount Scuba Diving Equipment and Snorkeling Gear store salesroom. Here you can get the [...])
- Kent PFD (Shop for Discount Kent PFD
When you click any Kent PFD picture beneath, you will go to a separate webpage that contains useful information to assist you to decide, if you want to get these discounted and high quality Kent PFD products.
Thank you for visiting this Discount Marine, Water, & Boat Safety Equipment store salesroom. Our [...])