Hawaiian Dive Boat
.... Go back to Part 1: My First Scuba Diving Vacation
Back to our first diving trip off the Big Island on a tourist dive boat. On shore, the crew confirmed that we had all the necessary equipment. The dive company was supplying any equipment that we did not have. None of the tourists on the trip had brought any equipment of their own besides masks and fins, so all of us had to be fitted with oxygen tanks, breathing regulators, vests, and weight belts. Since this equipment was pretty heavy, we did not bother with it until we were on the boat and out near the dive site. It took about a half hour for the boat to arrive at the dive site and to set the anchor.
We looked down at an extensive coral reef that they told us was twenty five to thirty feet deep and seemed to stretch of several acres. Clearly we never could have gotten close to see this reef snorkeling. It was not because we were anchored at least several hundred yards of the shoreline, it was the sheer depth. While twenty five or so feet of water is not a lot for an experienced diver, it is about as deep as a novice should try on their first dive or dives.
While this does not seem like much depth, for about each fifteen feet of water you increase the pressure by about another atmosphere. So the pressure of all the atmosphere above you, when you are standing on the shore at sea level gets doubled when you go down about fifteen feet. If you go down another fifteen feet you add another atmosphere of pressure to the situation. It is like fifteen feet of water weighs about as much as all the miles of air above you on dry land at the shore. This turns out to be pretty important to safety when you are diving as Tina, in particular, found out.
All of us novice tourist divers were on deck listening to the crew tell us about what to expect and how to react if they had a problem. About 10 of us would be diving in addition to the three crew members who would be diving down with us to watch over things. We were told several things to pay attention to. The first had little to do with diving safety, but had more to do with the quality of our experience. They said that while with snorkeling it was often suggested that you spit on the interior of your mask and rub it around to ensure that your mask would not fog up, this would not necessarily be a reliable method for diving. While it could work for many, when the spit on the lenses method fails while snorkeling all you need to do is to get your head out of the water and spit again. This does not work thirty feet down.
There are ways to let water into your mask to clear the fog and then use your nostrils and air from the tank to clear the water from your mask by doing a scuba mask purge. While this is a technique that all divers learn, it is not something they wanted to have us complete novices try at thirty feet. It works and it is reliable, but water in a mask and an inexperienced diver could lead to panic at 30 feet of depth. Instead, they had a formulation of liquid to use to cut the fogging of your dive mask lenses. We each took a few drops on each lens and rubbed it around and nobody had any diving mask fogging problems that day. By the way, there are some home made recipes that you can find on the internet about how to use diluted clear dishwashing liquid or other alternatives to pre place good old saliva, but I have never bothered to find them. The reason is that I bought a small bottle of lens clearing fluid called No-Fog Goop from Snorkel Bob’s in Hawaii.
Snorkel Bob’s was this chain of dive shops and Snorkel Bob’s had these ubiquitous small advertising signs all over that show a shark mouth. These ever present advertising signs were pretty stupid looking, but there were some many of them that we got to chanting Snorkel Bob, whenever we saw the signs as we drove around. Well, at least Steven and I did. Tabatha and Tina tied of this game after the first day, but since women apparently are smarter than men, Steven and I kept it up for the whole trip. Anyway, the reason why I never got around to making some myself is that this Snorkel Bob’s No-Fog Goop has lasted twenty years and I still have a third of this small bottle left. And, it not as if I do not use it. I have a pool and a couple of kids and we use it on our goggles whenever we swim in the summer. The trick to conserving this anti-fog dive mask fluid is simple. Keep it up high on a shelf in the kitchen, so that the kids cannot reach it. If I let the munchkins dispense it, it would have been gone in one summer.
<< Go back to Part 1: My First Scuba Diving Vacation
Snorkeling and Scuba Diving
- Frameless Dive Mask (Buy Bargain Frameless Dive Masks
If you pick any Frameless Dive Masks photo lower down, you will automatically go to an additional article that has interesting details to allow you to determine, if you want to acquire these bargain priced and excellent quality frameless scuba mask, snorkeling mask, or frameless face mask inventory specials.
Thanks for coming [...])
- Yellow Scuba Dive Mask (Buy Discount Yellow Scuba Masks
After picking a Yellow Scuba Masks graphic underneath, you will automatically go to a different webpage where you will find interesting details to assist you to decide, whether you would like to acquire these bargain priced and top quality yellow scuba mask, snorkeling mask, or yellow face mask sales deals.
Thank you [...])
- Sea Doo Seascooter (As diving becomes more popular around the world you will see and increase of these machines but that means that they will be cheaper. They have sleek designs these days and are made to slice through the water a speed with minimal resistance. You will find that you have more time. The Sea Doo Seascooter [...])
- Rinker Boat Cover (There is no better way to enjoy rivers, lakes and waterways than with a Rinker boat. And to enjoy it to its fullest it is essential that you protect your boat with a Rinker boat cover. You can expect to spend around 0 for this sort of cover (this price has been discounted by [...])
- Scuba Depth Gauge (Find Bargain Scuba Depth Gauges
If you pick any Scuba Depth Gauges graphic lower down, you will be taken to an additional web page which contains informative product information to assist you to figure out, whether you want to buy these discount priced and excellent quality diving depth gauge, scuba dive depth gauge, or scuba depth [...])
- Water Ski Tow Rope (For many families, practically nothing beats a weekend on the boat product Boating is often a good approach to play from the sun and remain cool at the identical time. Water-skiing, tubing and kneeboarding are exciting actions, but it's crucial to understand the best way to do them [...])
- 3-Renovating and Reviving a Custom-made Wooden Powerboat (Renovating and Reviving a Custom-made Wooden Powerboat
Our preliminary inspection of the boat showed that it was structurally sound, but it needed a lot of sanding, some touch-up, and a few coats of marine varnish. There is something about a wooden boat. You want it to shine, if you want to be seen in it.
There is [...])
- 19- How the World Received the News — of the Titanic Disaster (Nations prostrate with grief--Messages from kings and cardinals-- Disaster stirs world to necessity of stricter regulations.
Chapter 19 -- Sinking of the Titanic and Great Sea Disasters -- Logan Marshall (1912)
<<< Go back to Chapter 18
Go on to Chapter 20 >>>
Young and old, rich and poor were prostrated by the news of the disaster. Even Wall [...])
- Scuba Dive Sitemap ()
- Electric Boat Motor (Learn how to Buy Electrical Boat Automobiles In today’s technology of electronics it was only a topic of time earlier than electrical boat cars turned into another benchmark in the electric revolution. There's no field that hasn’t seen the effects of electricity, and its benefits, in using equipment and units that help complements an individual [...])
- Waterproof Dive Watch (For divers who are not utilizing a scuba dive computer to handle their nitrogen levels, it's critical to utilize dive tables to hold monitor of downtime. To be able to work with these tables successfully, a dive watch is needed. How's a dive watch totally different from an ordinary wristwatch? Two points make it stand [...])
- 02- About the Titanic – The Most Sumptuous Palace Afloat (Dimensions of the Titanic -- Capacity of the Titanic -- Provisions for the comfort and entertainment of passengers of the Titanic--Mechanical equipment--The army of attendants required
Chapter 2 -- Sinking of the Titanic and Great Sea Disasters -- Logan Marshall (1912)
The statistical record of the great ship has news value at this time. Early in 1908 [...])
- Aeris Dive Computer (Shop for Discounted Aeris Dive Computers
After picking a Aeris Dive Computers graphic lower down, we will take you to an additional article with interesting details to help you to decide, whether you want to get these discounted and top quality Aeris dive computer, scuba computer, or wrist dive computer sales deals.
Thank you for visiting this [...])
- Marine GPS Fishfinder (Will you be a professional fisherman or someone who enjoys angling and sailing for entertainment? If that's the case, you are probably knowledgeable about some of the common products and devices that people with watercraft and the need to find the most effective angling places have. Many individuals that fish and also have watercraft incorporate [...])
- Stearns Life Vest (As you choose any Stearns Life Vests and Life Jackets snapshot lower down, this action will open a different web page which has all of the details you need to buy these discounted plus high quality boat safety gear bargains. We appreciate your patronage at our Marine Safety Equipment and Boating Safety Equipment store salesroom. [...])
- Scuba Course (Scuba diving stands for Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus, is 1 of one of the most well-known under-water diving sporting activities. Scuba diving may be performed for many causes each individual and expert. There are different styles of Scuba diving such as cave diving, wreck diving, ice diving, deep diving, underwater photography and additional. Consider [...])
- Waterproof Boat Cover (Having a boat is regarded as very prestigious and reflects a person's standing. Despite the fact that a boat delivers enjoyment and even living space, the most crucial factor is its upkeep. Good upkeep and attention will aid to keep the boat enduring for many years. Waterproof boat covers tend to be the ideal gear [...])
- Baby Life Vest (Buy Discounted Baby Life Vests
As you choose a Baby Life Vests photo underneath, you will go to an additional page with informative product information to help you to figure out, if you need to get these bargain priced and excellent quality baby life vest sales deals.
Thank you for visiting this Discount Marine, Water, & Boat [...])
- Ocean Life Vest (Shop for Discount Ocean Pacific Life Jackets
By selecting a Ocean Pacific Life Jackets graphic lower down, this action will open a separate page where you will find informative product information to help you to decide, whether you would like to purchase these bargain priced and high quality Ocean Pacific life jacket inventory specials.
Welcome to our [...])
- 06- Women and Children First – Titanic Sinking (Cool-headed officers and crew bring order out of chaos--Filling the life-boats--Heartrending scenes as families are parted--Four life-boats lost--Incidents of bravery--"The boats are all filled!"
Chapter 6 -- Sinking of the Titanic and Great Sea Disasters -- Logan Marshall (1912)
Once on the deck, many hesitated to enter the swinging life boats. Tho glassy sea, the starlit [...])