Scuba Diving Lessons and Safety
... Go back to Part 2: Hawaiian Dive Boat
The second thing that the boat crew went over was “clearing” your ears as you went down and back up. They explained the need to equalize the pressure inside your sinuses and ears as you dove down and rose back up. The suggested holding your nose and blowing to pressurize your ears periodically as you went down and taking time and breathing naturally without holding your breath on the way back up. While most of us did not have a problem with this, for Tina it did not work out so smoothly and she felt it in her ears for a few days after the dive. Later when she took lessons in a pool back home and got certified for diving, she discovered what she had done wrong, which was not to have pressurized as often as she should on the way down. She said that she had not held her nose and blown as often as she should to build up the pressure on the inside of her head on the way down.
The third thing they instructed us to do was to be conscious always of our air supply and to check it once a minute or so not matter how interesting our surroundings were. They told us to prepare for a gradual assent even though we were only going to dive down thirty feet at the most. They suggested coming back up when we had about five minutes of air and to just let ourselves drift back upward as we breathed naturally. This seemed to work well of everyone. While deeper need to ascend and stop in stages to adjust things, in thirty feet of water you are much more concerned about equalizing air pressure in your breathing passages, sinses and ears. Divers who do deeper have the additional complication of needing to allow time for the oxygen pressures to stabilize in their blood streams or they risk the bends and dangerous damage caused by much higher pressure changes in their blood streams.
The fourth things they told us to do was to relax and to minimize our physical exertion. The crew members, who by the way actually were very competent, experienced, and enjoyable, told us that while the experience of diving would be new to us, it would be relatively short lived, if we moved around too much and too quickly. They told us that we would consume more air going down and getting adjusted, but that we should concentrate on calming ourselves down on the bottom and to breathe naturally, if not slowly.
They told us that some first timers do not necessarily panic with the new experience of diving compared to snorkeling, but that they treated the experience like they were swimming and snorkeling, which can consume a lot of air rather quickly. With diving they told us to put our arms back to our sides most of the time and to gently maneuver with our legs and fins. When I was on the bottom, I watched my air pressure gauge and noticed that I seemed to be using my air pretty quickly at first – however, it is difficult to tell because I was not using a watch to gauge the passage of time, as well. Anyway, I consciously tried to slow down and drift and move with my legs and fins, and it seemed like my heart rate slowed and my rate of air consumption seemed to slow.
I am sure that told us other things like how to adjust our buoyancy and how much we needed on our weight belts, but this further instruction gets fuzzy with the passage of time. Once we had are equipment on, we just sat of the edge of the boat and let ourselves fall backward into the water. Since Steven and I were larger than the women, we were able to stand upright with relative ease despite the diving tanks and weight belts, but the equipment was still pretty heavy. It felt a lot better after we sat on the side and fell backward into the water and started floating a bit.
Tina and Tabatha on the other hand found the diving equipment to be rather heavy and the found it better to put the weight belt on while standing and then sit down on one of the benches to put on the tanks. We all got assistance from the crew to get the tanks on. After their tanks and all other equipment were secured, the women just scooted along the fiberglass bench to the edge of the boat and fell backwards into the water. When they came back up a crew member pulled the equipment up for anyone who did not want to try to climb back into the boat with all this weight on their backs.
Once we were all in the water, we gradually let some air out of our vests and stopped floating and began to descend. We were to dive in groups of three or four per crew member accompanying us. We were told to pay attention to our group members and also to keep a sense of where the boat was. This was not always as straightforward, as it might seem. While the waters were very clear, the waves were gentle that day, and there was little turbulence in the water, you still can see clearly only so far under water. If you did not stray more a perhaps seventy five to a hundred yards horizontally then it was pretty easy to spot the anchor line and see the bottom of the boat. Any further and it would be dicey to know which was the correct direction back to the boat.
<< Go back to Part 2: Hawaiian Dive Boat
Snorkeling and Scuba Diving
- Garmin Marine GPS (Garmin is a name that is widely associated with GPS systems, and they have a line of marine electronics that carry their tradition of navigation assistance to the marine market, with a range of hand held GPS devices. They start at $129.99 and go as high as $599.99. For faster map drawing and panning, Garmin [...])
- Complete Scuba Package (Have you ever heard of the new holiday craze, “Live-aboard diving”? This form of holidaying is quite simple really, and is great fun for everyone! Live-aboard holidays are mainly for people in groups, or for families, it could get very lonely if you went on your own.
Let's find out what this term actually means? Well [...])
- 5-Preparing for Our Four Family Camping and Family Boat Trip (Preparing for Our Four Family Camping and Family Boating Trip
After about four weekends of this motorboat renovation project, we all knew that our boat renovation brainchild at the pizza parlor earlier that spring had been a real brainstorm among a bunch of early middle-aged white collar workers. We discussed among ourselves how we hoped that [...])
- Snorkeling Bag (By selecting a Snorkeling Bags snapshot lower down, you will go to a separate page that has what you need to know to buy these discounted plus useful snorkeling equipment products. Thanks for coming to our Discount Scuba Diving Equipment and Snorkeling Gear store. We help you quickly locate the snorkel gear choices that will [...])
- Bass Fishing Boat (Discount Bass Fishing Boats
After you select a Discount Bass Fishing Boats photo underneath, you will be taken to another web page which contains what you need to know to purchase these bargain priced and high quality freshwater bass fishing boats and lake bass fishing boats. Thanks for coming to our Discount Boats, Boat Parts, and [...])
- Stainless Steel Propeller (Boat propellers come in a dizzying array of sizes plus configurations. A good amount of outboard propellers match a particular brand although the propeller size may match alternative brands. Boat propellers which are affordable, simple to put in and supply a super quick way to repair any harm you might incur. You will never have to tote round [...])
- Scuba Diving Vacation (When you're under the waves, the world can seem a very different place. Excepting the possibility of catchy, irritating songs orchestrated by cartoon crabs, life under the sea is a remarkable experience, especially as it so ably inverts everything we know about a place when we're above the waves. A 'desert island' getaway like the [...])
- Marine LED Boat Light (There are a few safety features on a sailboat that should undoubtedly be installed. On the sailboat, below deck, there should be fire alarms installed. It is equally as important to test this boat fire alarm once a month to make sure it is working adequately and properly. Sailors are left unknowingly vulnerable when the [...])
- Mens Life Jacket (By selecting a Mens Life Jacket photograph beneath, we will take you to a separate page where you will find informative product information to buy these discounted plus high quality boat safety gear products. We are glad that you have come to this Marine Safety Equipment and Boating Safety Equipment preview showroom. On this page [...])
- US Navy Dive ( When it comes to the artificial, the Cayman Island have historically had it covered. With so many tax incentives to its name, the island has enjoyed decades as an unrivalled tax haven and even a site for money laundering. A Caribbean island, it also enjoy the same sun and sand that the locale is [...])
- 03- The Maiden Voyage of the Titanic (Preparations for the voyage-Scenes of gaiety-The Titanic boat sails-Incidents of the Titanic voyage-A collision narrowly averted-The boat on fire-Warned of icebergs
Chapter 3 -- Sinking of the Titanic and Great Sea Disasters -- Logan Marshall (1912)
<<< Go back to Chapter 2
Go on to Chapter 4 >>>
Ever was an ill-starred voyage more auspiciously begun than when the [...])
- AIS Receiver (So, you may be wondering what marine electronics you need to sustain a safe and efficient operating craft.Having the proper boating electronics can not only help your fishing and cruising expeditions but can also prevent calamity and tragedy from striking. It is important to have the right marine electronics to ensure that you arrive home [...])
- Adult Snorkel Set (A few years ago my family and I went to Florida and we were lucky enough to get the chance to visit Discovery Cove for the day. Discovery Cove is a 30-acre retreat, where not only do you get the chance to swim one to one with dolphins, but also have the opportunity to snorkel, [...])
- Prescription Dive Mask (If you pick any Prescription Dive Mask photo underneath, this action will open another web page that contains interesting details about how to acquire these very useful prescription snorkel mask merchandise. We appreciate your patronage at our Discount Scuba Diving Equipment and Snorkeling Gear store. We help you quickly locate the prescription snorkeling mask merchandise [...])
- Aluminum Boat Propeller (Boat propellers that are cheap, easy to install and offer an excellent straightforward method to repair any damage you may incur. You'll never should tote around another propeller in its entirety again. Boat propellers return in a dizzying array of sizes and configurations. Most outboard propellers work a explicit whole although the propeller size might [...])
- Rinker Boat Cover (There is no better way to enjoy rivers, lakes and waterways than with a Rinker boat. And to enjoy it to its fullest it is essential that you protect your boat with a Rinker boat cover. You can expect to spend around 0 for this sort of cover (this price has been discounted by [...])
- Dive Rite Dive Computer (Shop for Bargain Dive Rite Dive Computers
When you click any Dive Rite Dive Computers photo below, you will be taken to a different page that has informative product information to allow you to decide, whether you need to get these bargain priced and top quality Dive Rite dive computer, scuba computer, or wrist dive computer [...])
- Scubapro Scuba Regulator (Find Bargain Scubapro Scuba Regulators
If you pick any Scubapro Scuba Regulators picture below, you will be taken to another webpage that contains interesting details to allow you to decide, whether you want to buy these bargain priced and excellent quality Scubapro dive regulator, diving regulator, or scuba diving regulator inventory specials.
We hope you like our [...])
- Portable Navigation Receiver (Higher overall performance, durable marine Gps with us g2 coastal charts, 3-axis compass, barometer and more! Garmin has up-to-date the most popular GPSMAP 76 using the brand new GPSMAP 78 Series, highly effective marine handheld devices which right now feature color mapping, a high-sensitivity Gps receiver along with a built-in Microsd card slot for launching [...])
- Snorkel Set (As you choose a Snorkel Sets picture here, you will automatically go to a different web page that contains interesting details about how to buy these discounted plus attractive snorkeling equipment sets goods. We appreciate your patronage at our Discount Scuba Diving Equipment and Snorkeling Gear store salesroom. Here you can locate easily the snorkel [...])