Scuba Diving Lessons and Safety
... Go back to Part 2: Hawaiian Dive Boat
The second thing that the boat crew went over was “clearing” your ears as you went down and back up. They explained the need to equalize the pressure inside your sinuses and ears as you dove down and rose back up. The suggested holding your nose and blowing to pressurize your ears periodically as you went down and taking time and breathing naturally without holding your breath on the way back up. While most of us did not have a problem with this, for Tina it did not work out so smoothly and she felt it in her ears for a few days after the dive. Later when she took lessons in a pool back home and got certified for diving, she discovered what she had done wrong, which was not to have pressurized as often as she should on the way down. She said that she had not held her nose and blown as often as she should to build up the pressure on the inside of her head on the way down.
The third thing they instructed us to do was to be conscious always of our air supply and to check it once a minute or so not matter how interesting our surroundings were. They told us to prepare for a gradual assent even though we were only going to dive down thirty feet at the most. They suggested coming back up when we had about five minutes of air and to just let ourselves drift back upward as we breathed naturally. This seemed to work well of everyone. While deeper need to ascend and stop in stages to adjust things, in thirty feet of water you are much more concerned about equalizing air pressure in your breathing passages, sinses and ears. Divers who do deeper have the additional complication of needing to allow time for the oxygen pressures to stabilize in their blood streams or they risk the bends and dangerous damage caused by much higher pressure changes in their blood streams.
The fourth things they told us to do was to relax and to minimize our physical exertion. The crew members, who by the way actually were very competent, experienced, and enjoyable, told us that while the experience of diving would be new to us, it would be relatively short lived, if we moved around too much and too quickly. They told us that we would consume more air going down and getting adjusted, but that we should concentrate on calming ourselves down on the bottom and to breathe naturally, if not slowly.
They told us that some first timers do not necessarily panic with the new experience of diving compared to snorkeling, but that they treated the experience like they were swimming and snorkeling, which can consume a lot of air rather quickly. With diving they told us to put our arms back to our sides most of the time and to gently maneuver with our legs and fins. When I was on the bottom, I watched my air pressure gauge and noticed that I seemed to be using my air pretty quickly at first – however, it is difficult to tell because I was not using a watch to gauge the passage of time, as well. Anyway, I consciously tried to slow down and drift and move with my legs and fins, and it seemed like my heart rate slowed and my rate of air consumption seemed to slow.
I am sure that told us other things like how to adjust our buoyancy and how much we needed on our weight belts, but this further instruction gets fuzzy with the passage of time. Once we had are equipment on, we just sat of the edge of the boat and let ourselves fall backward into the water. Since Steven and I were larger than the women, we were able to stand upright with relative ease despite the diving tanks and weight belts, but the equipment was still pretty heavy. It felt a lot better after we sat on the side and fell backward into the water and started floating a bit.
Tina and Tabatha on the other hand found the diving equipment to be rather heavy and the found it better to put the weight belt on while standing and then sit down on one of the benches to put on the tanks. We all got assistance from the crew to get the tanks on. After their tanks and all other equipment were secured, the women just scooted along the fiberglass bench to the edge of the boat and fell backwards into the water. When they came back up a crew member pulled the equipment up for anyone who did not want to try to climb back into the boat with all this weight on their backs.
Once we were all in the water, we gradually let some air out of our vests and stopped floating and began to descend. We were to dive in groups of three or four per crew member accompanying us. We were told to pay attention to our group members and also to keep a sense of where the boat was. This was not always as straightforward, as it might seem. While the waters were very clear, the waves were gentle that day, and there was little turbulence in the water, you still can see clearly only so far under water. If you did not stray more a perhaps seventy five to a hundred yards horizontally then it was pretty easy to spot the anchor line and see the bottom of the boat. Any further and it would be dicey to know which was the correct direction back to the boat.
<< Go back to Part 2: Hawaiian Dive Boat
Snorkeling and Scuba Diving
- 13- The Story of Charles F. Hurd — How the Titanic Sank (How the Titanic sank--Water strewn with dead bodies-- Victims met death with hymn on their lips.
Chapter 13 -- Sinking of the Titanic and Great Sea Disasters -- Logan Marshall (1912)
The Story of how the Titanic sank is told by Charles F. Hurd, who was a passenger on the Carpathia.
He praised highly the courage of [...])
- Oceanic Scuba BCD (Alright girls... being a scuba diver, you need to understand that one particular of the most important pieces of gear is your BCD. The ladies on this planet appear in the great deal of unique designs and sizes. So the large question is... is there a scuba BCD that is certainly actually created for ladies? [...])
- Yacht Anchor (Would you be purchasing your own yacht? then you might be thinking that a yacht magazine can help you decide on this. There might have been some interesting stories that may have influenced you, am I right? If that is the case then let me help you out here. You might have heard more [...])
- Suunto Diving Computer (A dive computer should be used by all divers regardless of their dive experience. Dive computers are seen by many as an essential piece of scuba diving equipment. They allow divers to stay longer underwater and improve dive safety. Being able to spend more time underwater means you don't have to cut your dive experience [...])
- Art of Fly Fishing (More and more people around the world for all walks of life are fishing as a form of relaxing and pleasure. Perhaps fishing is a form of mantra but to most it is an art. This form of art, which most people have invested in lots of time and money and even, pasted on from [...])
- PFD Life Jacket (As you choose a PFD Life Jacket picture here, this action will open a separate page with useful information to help you decide to buy these discounted plus desirable boat safety gear bargains. We hope you like our Marine Safety Equipment and Boating Safety Equipment preview showroom. We assist in rapidly finding the personal flotation [...])
- Pink Snorkel Gear (Purchase Discounted Pink Snorkel Gear
After picking a Pink Snorkel Gear photo beneath, you will go to another webpage with informative product information to help you to determine, whether you need to purchase these discount priced and excellent quality pink snorkel set, snorkeling equipment, or snorkeling gear sales deals.
Welcome to our Discount Scuba Equipment and Snorkeling [...])
- Swim Arm Floats (After you select a Swim Arm Floats photograph beneath, you will automatically go to an additional page which contains all of the details you need to buy these discounted plus desirable water safety gear goods. We hope you like our Marine Safety Equipment and Boat Safety Equipment online salesroom. We help you quickly locate the [...])
- Bass Fishing Boat (Discount Bass Fishing Boats
After you select a Discount Bass Fishing Boats photo underneath, you will be taken to another web page which contains what you need to know to purchase these bargain priced and high quality freshwater bass fishing boats and lake bass fishing boats. Thanks for coming to our Discount Boats, Boat Parts, and [...])
- Suunto Marine Compass (Despite the widespread use of Global Positioning System technology, it seems that a lot of compass manufacturers are still not willing to give up the fight. These days, avid fishers and sea travelers even point out that a lot of new marine compasses are hitting the market and they can really be good options for [...])
- 5-Preparing for Our Four Family Camping and Family Boat Trip (Preparing for Our Four Family Camping and Family Boating Trip
After about four weekends of this motorboat renovation project, we all knew that our boat renovation brainchild at the pizza parlor earlier that spring had been a real brainstorm among a bunch of early middle-aged white collar workers. We discussed among ourselves how we hoped that [...])
- Snorkeling Bag (By selecting a Snorkeling Bags snapshot lower down, you will go to a separate page that has what you need to know to buy these discounted plus useful snorkeling equipment products. Thanks for coming to our Discount Scuba Diving Equipment and Snorkeling Gear store. We help you quickly locate the snorkel gear choices that will [...])
- Spiritual Consolation to the Survivors of the Titanic (Dr. Van Dyke's Spiritual Consolation to the Survivors of the Titanic
Dedication -- Sinking of the Titanic and Great Sea Disasters -- Logan Marshall (1912)
To the 1635 souls who were lost with the ill-fated Titanic, and especially to those heroic men, who, instead of trying to save themselves, stood aside that women and children might have [...])
- Scuba Pony Bottle (Shop for Bargain Scuba Pony Bottles
When you click any Scuba Pony Bottles picture lower down, you will be taken to a different article that contains interesting details to assist you to determine, whether you want to buy these bargain priced and top quality scuba pony bottle, dive pony bottle, or diving pony bottle products.
We are [...])
- 20- Bravery of the Officers and Crew — of The Titanic (Illustrious career of Captain E. J. Smith--Brave to the last-- Maintenance of order and discipline--Acts of heroism--Engineers died at posts --Noble-hearted band.
Chapter 20 -- Sinking of the Titanic and Great Sea Disasters -- Logan Marshall (1912)
In the anxious hours of uncertainty, when the air cracked and flashed with the story of disaster, there was [...])
- Scuba Dry Suit (You've decided to explore every one of the wonders with the ocean deep and are all set to swim among the coral reefs, sea turtles, and schools of fish. However prior to taking the plunge to the blue, you'll want to make certain you've all of the required scuba gear and diving equipment! While one [...])
- Marine Satellite Antenna (There is a trend going on recently in the area of the marine gadget business. You may wonder what that is. The answer to this question can be simplified in this manner. There have been a lot of companies creating particular types of equipment in many variations. They engage in this strategy in order to [...])
- Oceanic Dive Computer (Get Discounted Oceanic Dive Computers
When you click any Oceanic Dive Computers picture underneath, you will go to a separate page that has useful information to assist you to determine, if you would like to acquire these discount priced and excellent quality Oceanic dive computer, scuba computer, or wrist dive computer inventory specials.
We appreciate your patronage [...])
- HO Sports Life Jacket (Get Bargain HO Sports Life Jackets
By selecting a HO Sports Life Jackets snapshot below, you will automatically go to a separate article which has all of the details to enable you to decide, if you want to purchase these discount priced and high quality HO Sports life jacket sales deals.
Thanks for coming to our Discount [...])
- Suunto Dive Computer (Shop for Discount Suunto Dive Computers
After picking a Suunto Dive Computers photo lower down, you will be taken to another page where you will find useful information to enable you to determine, whether you need to buy these bargain and excellent quality Suunto dive computer, scuba computer, or wrist dive computer sales deals.
Thank you for [...])