Scuba Diving Lessons and Safety
... Go back to Part 2: Hawaiian Dive Boat
The second thing that the boat crew went over was “clearing” your ears as you went down and back up. They explained the need to equalize the pressure inside your sinuses and ears as you dove down and rose back up. The suggested holding your nose and blowing to pressurize your ears periodically as you went down and taking time and breathing naturally without holding your breath on the way back up. While most of us did not have a problem with this, for Tina it did not work out so smoothly and she felt it in her ears for a few days after the dive. Later when she took lessons in a pool back home and got certified for diving, she discovered what she had done wrong, which was not to have pressurized as often as she should on the way down. She said that she had not held her nose and blown as often as she should to build up the pressure on the inside of her head on the way down.
The third thing they instructed us to do was to be conscious always of our air supply and to check it once a minute or so not matter how interesting our surroundings were. They told us to prepare for a gradual assent even though we were only going to dive down thirty feet at the most. They suggested coming back up when we had about five minutes of air and to just let ourselves drift back upward as we breathed naturally. This seemed to work well of everyone. While deeper need to ascend and stop in stages to adjust things, in thirty feet of water you are much more concerned about equalizing air pressure in your breathing passages, sinses and ears. Divers who do deeper have the additional complication of needing to allow time for the oxygen pressures to stabilize in their blood streams or they risk the bends and dangerous damage caused by much higher pressure changes in their blood streams.
The fourth things they told us to do was to relax and to minimize our physical exertion. The crew members, who by the way actually were very competent, experienced, and enjoyable, told us that while the experience of diving would be new to us, it would be relatively short lived, if we moved around too much and too quickly. They told us that we would consume more air going down and getting adjusted, but that we should concentrate on calming ourselves down on the bottom and to breathe naturally, if not slowly.
They told us that some first timers do not necessarily panic with the new experience of diving compared to snorkeling, but that they treated the experience like they were swimming and snorkeling, which can consume a lot of air rather quickly. With diving they told us to put our arms back to our sides most of the time and to gently maneuver with our legs and fins. When I was on the bottom, I watched my air pressure gauge and noticed that I seemed to be using my air pretty quickly at first – however, it is difficult to tell because I was not using a watch to gauge the passage of time, as well. Anyway, I consciously tried to slow down and drift and move with my legs and fins, and it seemed like my heart rate slowed and my rate of air consumption seemed to slow.
I am sure that told us other things like how to adjust our buoyancy and how much we needed on our weight belts, but this further instruction gets fuzzy with the passage of time. Once we had are equipment on, we just sat of the edge of the boat and let ourselves fall backward into the water. Since Steven and I were larger than the women, we were able to stand upright with relative ease despite the diving tanks and weight belts, but the equipment was still pretty heavy. It felt a lot better after we sat on the side and fell backward into the water and started floating a bit.
Tina and Tabatha on the other hand found the diving equipment to be rather heavy and the found it better to put the weight belt on while standing and then sit down on one of the benches to put on the tanks. We all got assistance from the crew to get the tanks on. After their tanks and all other equipment were secured, the women just scooted along the fiberglass bench to the edge of the boat and fell backwards into the water. When they came back up a crew member pulled the equipment up for anyone who did not want to try to climb back into the boat with all this weight on their backs.
Once we were all in the water, we gradually let some air out of our vests and stopped floating and began to descend. We were to dive in groups of three or four per crew member accompanying us. We were told to pay attention to our group members and also to keep a sense of where the boat was. This was not always as straightforward, as it might seem. While the waters were very clear, the waves were gentle that day, and there was little turbulence in the water, you still can see clearly only so far under water. If you did not stray more a perhaps seventy five to a hundred yards horizontally then it was pretty easy to spot the anchor line and see the bottom of the boat. Any further and it would be dicey to know which was the correct direction back to the boat.
<< Go back to Part 2: Hawaiian Dive Boat
Snorkeling and Scuba Diving
- Luminox Dive Watch (Reinvented, redesigned; fashioned a lot better than before. The new generation of Navy seal dive watch presents a whole original specification of what a beneficial diver's watch must be. An extremely resilient and strong carbon heavy-laden case, brand new strong appearance, bolder hands, coin-edge bezel, night-glow illumination and easy to use.
For the brand that has [...])
- Marine GPS (A Palm GPS has the advantage of being able to increase the capacity of the personal navigation system by substituting the graphic display device and offering supplementary portable orientation functions. Regular products in the Palm GPS category have larger displays, more memory space and a quicker processing rate. The Palm thus ranges between a stand [...])
- OBrien Neoprene Vest (Purchase Discount OBrien Life Jackets
When you click any OBrien Life Jackets photograph below, this action will open an additional web page with useful information to enable you to figure out, if you need to get these discount priced and top quality OBrien life jacket inventory specials.
Thank you for visiting this Discount Marine, Water, & Boat [...])
- Sherwood Dive Computer (Get Discounted Sherwood Dive Computers
When you click any Sherwood Dive Computers picture here, we will take you to a separate page with all of the details to assist you to figure out, if you want to acquire these discounted and top quality Sherwood dive computer, scuba computer, or wrist dive computer products.
Welcome to this Discount [...])
- Boat Anchor (As a kid I did a lot of boat building, mainly scale models that were not able to sail, although I did actual build a few boats that were, more or less, capable of sailing. I even once build a 10 feet boat, or shall I say raft. I accomplished this with a few friends [...])
- Dog Life Jacket (When you click any Dog Life Jacket photograph beneath, you will go to a different web page that contains informative product information to get these wonderful and high quality water safety gear bargains. We are glad that you have come to this Marine Safety Equipment and Boating Safety Equipment online salesroom. Here you can locate [...])
- Hurghada Is a Real Dive (There are as many reasons for choosing Egypt as a holiday destination as there are visitors to this stunning country. For some, Egypt’s year- round sunshine proves the major attraction followed closely by well-developed resorts, great beaches and luxury hotels. Egypt’s treasures of antiquity with ancient temples, Pyramids and the magnificence of Karnak and Luxor [...])
- Sea Doo Seascooter (As diving becomes more popular around the world you will see and increase of these machines but that means that they will be cheaper. They have sleek designs these days and are made to slice through the water a speed with minimal resistance. You will find that you have more time. The Sea Doo Seascooter [...])
- Speedo Swim Vest (Find Discount Speedo Swim Vests
When you click any Speedo Swim Vests photo below, you will be taken to another article that contains all of the details to help you to figure out, if you want to acquire these discount priced and top quality Speedo swim vest sales deals.
We are happy you have come to our [...])
- Scuba Diving Vacation (When you're under the waves, the world can seem a very different place. Excepting the possibility of catchy, irritating songs orchestrated by cartoon crabs, life under the sea is a remarkable experience, especially as it so ably inverts everything we know about a place when we're above the waves. A 'desert island' getaway like the [...])
- FuzionX Life Vest (Get Discounted FuzionX Life Jackets
As you choose a FuzionX Life Jackets graphic here, we will take you to a separate page where you will find informative product information to assist you to determine, whether you need to acquire these discount priced and high quality FuzionX life jacket sales deals.
We appreciate your patronage at our Discount [...])
- Boat Dehumidifier (Electronic components of your boat can become corroded by dampness. Mildews and molds caused by it can destroy upholstry. Thus a good boat humidifier can be used to control moisture levels so your boat smells clean. However, not every dehumidifier will work equally effectively at controlling the humidity levels. When looking for a good marine [...])
- Sailing in Greece (Summer is underway and the perfect vacation is not unobtainable. With the rich culture of Europe, sailing on the coastlines of the Mediterranean Sea offers a truly unparalleled experience. There is exquisite art, fine cuisine, and breathtaking architecture along each port and coastline. See Europe like no other will by sailing in lovely blue waters.
- Raymarine Chartplotter Fishfinder (Should you be new to boating and just starting to get your gear together, you may not be aware yet of all the options associated with marine GPS techniques. If you are also a fisherman, there are many choices that include both navigational qualities and also fishfinder functions. In this article, we are going to [...])
- Marine Safety Equipment (By selecting a Marine Safety Equipment photograph beneath, this action will open a separate page that has useful information to help you decide to buy these discounted plus attractive boat safety gear deals. We hope you like our Marine Safety Equipment and Boating Safety Equipment store. On this page you will find the personal flotation [...])
- Aluminum Boat Propeller (Boat propellers that are cheap, easy to install and offer an excellent straightforward method to repair any damage you may incur. You'll never should tote around another propeller in its entirety again. Boat propellers return in a dizzying array of sizes and configurations. Most outboard propellers work a explicit whole although the propeller size might [...])
- Sailboat Harness (Installed on a sailboat, there should definitely be some key safety features. On the sailboat, below deck, there should be fire alarms installed. It is equally as important to test this boat fire alarm once a month to make sure it is working adequately and properly. Sailors are left unknowingly vulnerable when the fire alarm [...])
- Marine Diesel Engine (In a traditional marine diesel engine its power is produced by hot compressed air igniting fuel which has been sprayed into the cylinder head under very high pressure. A marine diesel engine does not have a carburetor to mix fuel or air spark plugs to ignite the mixture. Instead, the pistons are used to compress [...])
- Sea-Doo Neoprene Vest (Purchase Bargain Sea-Doo Neoprene Vests
When you click any Sea-Doo Neoprene Vests snapshot here, you will go to an additional page where you will find useful information to help you to figure out, whether you would like to purchase these bargain priced and top quality SeaDoo neoprene life vest products.
Welcome to this Discount Marine, Water, & [...])
- Kayaking Jacket (When you click any Kayaking Jacket photo underneath, we will take you to an additional page which has what you need to know to purchase these bargain priced and high quality boat safety gear choices. Thanks for coming to our Marine Safety Equipment and Boating Safety Equipment online salesroom. Here you can get the personal [...])