... Go back to Part 2: Hawaiian Dive Boat
The second thing that the boat crew went over was “clearing” your ears as you went down and back up. They explained the need to equalize the pressure inside your sinuses and ears as you dove down and rose back up. The suggested holding your nose and blowing to pressurize your ears periodically as you went down and taking time and breathing naturally without holding your breath on the way back up. While most of us did not have a problem with this, for Tina it did not work out so smoothly and she felt it in her ears for a few days after the dive. Later when she took lessons in a pool back home and got certified for diving, she discovered what she had done wrong, which was not to have pressurized as often as she should on the way down. She said that she had not held her nose and blown as often as she should to build up the pressure on the inside of her head on the way down.
The third thing they instructed us to do was to be conscious always of our air supply and to check it once a minute or so not matter how interesting our surroundings were. They told us to prepare for a gradual assent even though we were only going to dive down thirty feet at the most. They suggested coming back up when we had about five minutes of air and to just let ourselves drift back upward as we breathed naturally. This seemed to work well of everyone. While deeper need to ascend and stop in stages to adjust things, in thirty feet of water you are much more concerned about equalizing air pressure in your breathing passages, sinses and ears. Divers who do deeper have the additional complication of needing to allow time for the oxygen pressures to stabilize in their blood streams or they risk the bends and dangerous damage caused by much higher pressure changes in their blood streams.
The fourth things they told us to do was to relax and to minimize our physical exertion. The crew members, who by the way actually were very competent, experienced, and enjoyable, told us that while the experience of diving would be new to us, it would be relatively short lived, if we moved around too much and too quickly. They told us that we would consume more air going down and getting adjusted, but that we should concentrate on calming ourselves down on the bottom and to breathe naturally, if not slowly.
They told us that some first timers do not necessarily panic with the new experience of diving compared to snorkeling, but that they treated the experience like they were swimming and snorkeling, which can consume a lot of air rather quickly. With diving they told us to put our arms back to our sides most of the time and to gently maneuver with our legs and fins. When I was on the bottom, I watched my air pressure gauge and noticed that I seemed to be using my air pretty quickly at first – however, it is difficult to tell because I was not using a watch to gauge the passage of time, as well. Anyway, I consciously tried to slow down and drift and move with my legs and fins, and it seemed like my heart rate slowed and my rate of air consumption seemed to slow.
I am sure that told us other things like how to adjust our buoyancy and how much we needed on our weight belts, but this further instruction gets fuzzy with the passage of time. Once we had are equipment on, we just sat of the edge of the boat and let ourselves fall backward into the water. Since Steven and I were larger than the women, we were able to stand upright with relative ease despite the diving tanks and weight belts, but the equipment was still pretty heavy. It felt a lot better after we sat on the side and fell backward into the water and started floating a bit.
Tina and Tabatha on the other hand found the diving equipment to be rather heavy and the found it better to put the weight belt on while standing and then sit down on one of the benches to put on the tanks. We all got assistance from the crew to get the tanks on. After their tanks and all other equipment were secured, the women just scooted along the fiberglass bench to the edge of the boat and fell backwards into the water. When they came back up a crew member pulled the equipment up for anyone who did not want to try to climb back into the boat with all this weight on their backs.
Once we were all in the water, we gradually let some air out of our vests and stopped floating and began to descend. We were to dive in groups of three or four per crew member accompanying us. We were told to pay attention to our group members and also to keep a sense of where the boat was. This was not always as straightforward, as it might seem. While the waters were very clear, the waves were gentle that day, and there was little turbulence in the water, you still can see clearly only so far under water. If you did not stray more a perhaps seventy five to a hundred yards horizontally then it was pretty easy to spot the anchor line and see the bottom of the boat. Any further and it would be dicey to know which was the correct direction back to the boat.
<< Go back to Part 2: Hawaiian Dive Boat
Snorkeling and Scuba Diving
- Marine Satellite Antenna (There is a trend going on recently in the area of the marine gadget business. You may wonder what that is. The answer to this question can be simplified in this manner. There have been a lot of companies creating particular types of equipment in many variations. They engage in this strategy in order to [...])
- Youth Scuba Diving Wetsuit (If you pick any Youth Scuba Diving Wetsuits photo underneath, you will automatically go to a different web page that contains what you need to know to buy these discounted plus select scuba dive wetsuit goods. We appreciate your patronage at our Discount Scuba Diving Equipment and Snorkeling Gear online shop. Here you can get [...])
- PFD Life Jacket (As you choose a PFD Life Jacket picture here, this action will open a separate page with useful information to help you decide to buy these discounted plus desirable boat safety gear bargains. We hope you like our Marine Safety Equipment and Boating Safety Equipment preview showroom. We assist in rapidly finding the personal flotation [...])
- Ocean Life Vest (Shop for Discount Ocean Pacific Life Jackets
By selecting a Ocean Pacific Life Jackets graphic lower down, this action will open a separate page where you will find informative product information to help you to decide, whether you would like to purchase these bargain priced and high quality Ocean Pacific life jacket inventory specials.
Welcome to our [...])
- Inflatable Boat Cover (The first inflatable boats appeared in the early part of the nineteenth century when pontoons were made from inflated animal skins. However, they didn’t become really popular until the end of the Second World War when the US military began to sell surplus inflatable boats to the civilian population. Boaters soon discovered an inexpensive alternative [...])
- Scuba Diving Bali (What is usually a extra adventurous and fulfilling scuba diving trip expertise than live aboard luxury yacht cruising and scuba diving within the tropical islands of Bali? Contrary to what many scuba divers assume, live aboard scuba diving may not be as costly as you think. In fact if deliberate properly, stay on board diving [...])
- Snorkel Vest (As you choose a Snorkel Vests photo here, you will automatically go to another web page which has interesting details about how to get these wonderful and attractive snorkeling equipment vest goods. Welcome to this Discount Scuba Diving Equipment and Snorkeling Gear online salesroom. We assist in rapidly finding the snorkel gear vest products that [...])
- Body Glove PFD (After you select a Body Glove PFD snapshot lower down, this action will open a separate page that contains what you need to know to purchase these bargain priced and desirable water safety gear choices. We are glad that you have come to this Marine Safety Equipment and Boating Safety Equipment store salesroom. Here you [...])
- Aluminum Boat (Aluminum fishing boats are manufactured with great looks and performance previously solely offered with the big heavy fiberglass models. The advanced technology nowadays makes the aluminum fishing boats appear sleek. Aluminum fishing boats can last a very long time with proper maintenance. When you are done fishing, wash both the interior plus outside. Aluminum fishing [...])
- Wooden Canoe Paddle (In the event you want to go for a fast trip in the water, then canoes could be a great aid. Speak about canoes and you've various possibilities to choose from. Each of these canoe forms has its individual set of benefits and issues. Let us take a look at a few of the famous [...])
- Black Dive Mask (Get Discounted Black Scuba Masks
After picking a Black Scuba Masks photograph underneath, this action will open another webpage which contains interesting details to help you to figure out, if you want to buy these discount priced and excellent quality black scuba mask, snorkeling mask, or black face mask products.
We appreciate your patronage at our Discount [...])
- Deep Sea Boat (Discount Deep Sea Fishing Boats
If you pick any Discount Deep Sea Fishing Boat picture here, we will take you to an additional page which has interesting details about how to get these select saltwater offshore fishing boats and deep sea fishing boats. Welcome to this Discount Boats, Boat Parts, and Boating Equipment store salesroom. On [...])
- Rinker Boat Cover (There is no better way to enjoy rivers, lakes and waterways than with a Rinker boat. And to enjoy it to its fullest it is essential that you protect your boat with a Rinker boat cover. You can expect to spend around 0 for this sort of cover (this price has been discounted by [...])
- Scuba Diving Mask (By selecting a Scuba Diving Masks photo here, you will be taken to a separate page which has all of the details you need to get these wonderful and high quality scuba dive mask deals. We appreciate your patronage at our Discount Scuba Diving Equipment and Snorkeling Gear online salesroom. We help you quickly locate [...])
- Fly Fishing (Important Beginner Fly Fishing GearYou will need other beginner fly fishing gear besides a fly fishing rod, fly fishing reel, and fly line in order to begin with the sport of fly fishing. This article gives an overview on the essential fly fishing tools and gear for the novice angler. Fly Fishing Flies An essential [...])
- Adult Life Jacket (When you click any Adult Life Jacket photo underneath, this action will open another web page with useful information to help you decide to purchase these bargain priced and desirable boat safety gear merchandise. We hope you like our Marine Safety Equipment and Boating Safety Equipment preview showroom. Here you can get the personal flotation [...])
- Boat Winch (Winches used as a tool for lifting heavy loads, are typically attached with heavy transport vehicles like sail boats, toe wagons, wagons and other off-road cars. Boat winches as the name explains are attached with the sailing boats. Talking about the composition of these winches, it is an significant factor to reassure [...])
- Scuba Dry Suit (You've decided to explore every one of the wonders with the ocean deep and are all set to swim among the coral reefs, sea turtles, and schools of fish. However prior to taking the plunge to the blue, you'll want to make certain you've all of the required scuba gear and diving equipment! While one [...])
- Scuba Diving Vest (Get Discounted Scuba Diving Vests
If you pick any Scuba Diving Vests photograph underneath, this action will open an additional web page that contains all of the details to allow you to determine, whether you need to buy these discounted and high quality dive vest, scuba diving vest or dive buoyancy vest inventory specials.
We hope you [...])
- Charter Boat Insurance (For every charter boat operator the need to take out charter boat insurance is especially strong because according to maritime laws it is the operator of a charter boat that is to be held responsible for any damages caused on account of acts of negligence on their part. This means that as an operator of [...])