Scuba Diving Lessons and Safety
... Go back to Part 2: Hawaiian Dive Boat
The second thing that the boat crew went over was “clearing” your ears as you went down and back up. They explained the need to equalize the pressure inside your sinuses and ears as you dove down and rose back up. The suggested holding your nose and blowing to pressurize your ears periodically as you went down and taking time and breathing naturally without holding your breath on the way back up. While most of us did not have a problem with this, for Tina it did not work out so smoothly and she felt it in her ears for a few days after the dive. Later when she took lessons in a pool back home and got certified for diving, she discovered what she had done wrong, which was not to have pressurized as often as she should on the way down. She said that she had not held her nose and blown as often as she should to build up the pressure on the inside of her head on the way down.
The third thing they instructed us to do was to be conscious always of our air supply and to check it once a minute or so not matter how interesting our surroundings were. They told us to prepare for a gradual assent even though we were only going to dive down thirty feet at the most. They suggested coming back up when we had about five minutes of air and to just let ourselves drift back upward as we breathed naturally. This seemed to work well of everyone. While deeper need to ascend and stop in stages to adjust things, in thirty feet of water you are much more concerned about equalizing air pressure in your breathing passages, sinses and ears. Divers who do deeper have the additional complication of needing to allow time for the oxygen pressures to stabilize in their blood streams or they risk the bends and dangerous damage caused by much higher pressure changes in their blood streams.
The fourth things they told us to do was to relax and to minimize our physical exertion. The crew members, who by the way actually were very competent, experienced, and enjoyable, told us that while the experience of diving would be new to us, it would be relatively short lived, if we moved around too much and too quickly. They told us that we would consume more air going down and getting adjusted, but that we should concentrate on calming ourselves down on the bottom and to breathe naturally, if not slowly.
They told us that some first timers do not necessarily panic with the new experience of diving compared to snorkeling, but that they treated the experience like they were swimming and snorkeling, which can consume a lot of air rather quickly. With diving they told us to put our arms back to our sides most of the time and to gently maneuver with our legs and fins. When I was on the bottom, I watched my air pressure gauge and noticed that I seemed to be using my air pretty quickly at first – however, it is difficult to tell because I was not using a watch to gauge the passage of time, as well. Anyway, I consciously tried to slow down and drift and move with my legs and fins, and it seemed like my heart rate slowed and my rate of air consumption seemed to slow.
I am sure that told us other things like how to adjust our buoyancy and how much we needed on our weight belts, but this further instruction gets fuzzy with the passage of time. Once we had are equipment on, we just sat of the edge of the boat and let ourselves fall backward into the water. Since Steven and I were larger than the women, we were able to stand upright with relative ease despite the diving tanks and weight belts, but the equipment was still pretty heavy. It felt a lot better after we sat on the side and fell backward into the water and started floating a bit.
Tina and Tabatha on the other hand found the diving equipment to be rather heavy and the found it better to put the weight belt on while standing and then sit down on one of the benches to put on the tanks. We all got assistance from the crew to get the tanks on. After their tanks and all other equipment were secured, the women just scooted along the fiberglass bench to the edge of the boat and fell backwards into the water. When they came back up a crew member pulled the equipment up for anyone who did not want to try to climb back into the boat with all this weight on their backs.
Once we were all in the water, we gradually let some air out of our vests and stopped floating and began to descend. We were to dive in groups of three or four per crew member accompanying us. We were told to pay attention to our group members and also to keep a sense of where the boat was. This was not always as straightforward, as it might seem. While the waters were very clear, the waves were gentle that day, and there was little turbulence in the water, you still can see clearly only so far under water. If you did not stray more a perhaps seventy five to a hundred yards horizontally then it was pretty easy to spot the anchor line and see the bottom of the boat. Any further and it would be dicey to know which was the correct direction back to the boat.
<< Go back to Part 2: Hawaiian Dive Boat
Snorkeling and Scuba Diving
- Marine Wind Generator (By far the world's best selling marine wind turbine is the Air-X Marine. This small wind generating turbine was designed for sailboats and other boats too. This was designed with the weather elements in mind for this marine grade wind turbine, as it has marine powder coating and stainless steel fittings for corrosion protection in [...])
- Fly Fishing (Important Beginner Fly Fishing GearYou will need other beginner fly fishing gear besides a fly fishing rod, fly fishing reel, and fly line in order to begin with the sport of fly fishing. This article gives an overview on the essential fly fishing tools and gear for the novice angler. Fly Fishing Flies An essential [...])
- Raymarine Fishfinder ( Raymarine marine electronics is based in Merrimack, New Hampshire and has 80 or more years of product development experience. Raymarine sells a large range of products, like GPS chartplotters, fish finders, VHF radios, and even satellite television to bring recreational boaters the latest and best technology. If you have a boat you [...])
- Canine Life Vest (After you select a Canine Life Vest snapshot lower down, we will take you to a separate page where you will find all of the details you need to purchase these bargain priced and useful water safety gear products. We appreciate your patronage at our Marine Safety Equipment and Boating Safety Equipment store. Here you [...])
- Scuba Backpack (Get Bargain Discount Scuba Backpacks
By selecting a Discount Scuba Backpacks picture here, you will be taken to a separate article where you will find interesting details to enable you to figure out, if you would like to purchase these discount priced and high quality scuba diver backpack, diving gear bag, or scuba backpack bag sales [...])
- Surfer Wetsuit (One important factor about wetsuits that is often overlooked is that they will also protect you from harmful things that you can find in the sea. Wearing a wetsuit will not only keep you warm but protect your skin against damage from the elements. Top brands are at the top because they produce the best [...])
- Used Scuba Gear (Scuba diving is usually a great activity. There's a complete globe to explore beneath the water, but becoming correctly outfitted is an expensive venture. Scuba diving is usually price prohibitive for some individuals to pursue, but there are choices to purchasing all brand new scuba equipment and it's well worth your time to take a [...])
- Blue Scuba Dive Mask (Purchase Bargain Blue Scuba Masks
When you click any Blue Scuba Masks picture underneath, we will take you to another page which contains all of the details to enable you to figure out, whether you would like to acquire these bargain priced and top quality blue scuba mask, snorkeling mask, or blue face mask sales deals.
- Harkin Sailing Block (Sailboats come in all different shapes and sizes to accommodate multiple functions and purposes – from racing to day sailing and cruising. Whether a sailor is looking for some recreational relaxation out on the water or seeking the thrill of an exciting regatta, a sailboat must be properly equipped for all sailing activities.
Since the art [...])
- About (Howdy Aquahuman,
Welcome to my Best Scuba Diving Equipment & Snorkeling Gear website. I will show you the broadest selection of discount dive gear, snorkel equipment, spearfishing gear, wetsuits, and a whole lot more underwater equipment at great discount bargain prices. You can get ahold of me at wayne.cross [at] wcdivers.com.
Wayne Cross, web master)
- Scubapro Pressure Regulator (Scuba diving is similar to living life underwater. Embrace it. Dive in. You have the best scuba diving experience when you have the best underwater equipment. Compromising the quality of your gear will definitely lessen your confidence and increase your worries. Your fears will suck the fun. Certainly. While scuba diving is an [...])
- Infant Life Vest (When you click any Infant Life Vest picture here, this action will open an additional page which contains informative product information to acquire these very desirable boat safety gear choices. Welcome to this Marine Safety Equipment and Boating Safety Equipment online shop. On this page you will find the personal flotation devices and other water [...])
- Raymarine Wind System (Wind is one factor that may affect the pleasures offered by a boat ride. Just the same, you will love the wind knowing that it can help you go through with your water journey. Now, in order to make a balance between these two things, what you need is to invest on a wind system [...])
- Prescription Dive Mask (If you pick any Prescription Dive Mask photo underneath, this action will open another web page that contains interesting details about how to acquire these very useful prescription snorkel mask merchandise. We appreciate your patronage at our Discount Scuba Diving Equipment and Snorkeling Gear store. We help you quickly locate the prescription snorkeling mask merchandise [...])
- Reactor Dive Watch (For all of you people on the market which might be into diving in to the deep blue yonder, we are sure that you realize that it can be all about timing. Divers will need to obtain some method to go about maintaining observe of their timing in the course of their dive. The fish [...])
- Scuba Course (Scuba diving stands for Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus, is 1 of one of the most well-known under-water diving sporting activities. Scuba diving may be performed for many causes each individual and expert. There are different styles of Scuba diving such as cave diving, wreck diving, ice diving, deep diving, underwater photography and additional. Consider [...])
- 10- On Board the Carpathia, Titanic Rescue Ship (Aid for the suffering and hysterical--Burying the dead--Vote of thanks to Captain Rostron of the Carpathia--Identifying those saved-- Communicating with land--The passage to New York.
Chapter 10 -- Sinking of the Titanic and Great Sea Disasters -- Logan Marshall (1912)
If the scenes in the life-boats were tear-bringing, hardly less so was the arrival of the [...])
- 26- Development of Shipbuilding — Ship Building History (Evolution of water travel--Increases in size of vessels-- Is there any limit?--Achievements in speed--Titanic not the last word.
Chapter 26 -- Sinking of the Titanic and Great Sea Disasters -- Logan Marshall (1912)
The origin of travel on water dates back to a very early period in human history, men beginning with the log, the inflated [...])
- Boat Anchor Windlass (utilizing the supremacy of an anchor windlass in the most transportable technique is extremely very major for those who appreciate the exigency of availing this gadget. However, they are also alert to the case that the boat anchors one is mostly suitable as there is always a threat of being stressed due to the technical [...])
- Ocean Life Vest (Shop for Discount Ocean Pacific Life Jackets
By selecting a Ocean Pacific Life Jackets graphic lower down, this action will open a separate page where you will find informative product information to help you to decide, whether you would like to purchase these bargain priced and high quality Ocean Pacific life jacket inventory specials.
Welcome to our [...])