Scuba Diving Lessons and Safety
... Go back to Part 2: Hawaiian Dive Boat
The second thing that the boat crew went over was “clearing” your ears as you went down and back up. They explained the need to equalize the pressure inside your sinuses and ears as you dove down and rose back up. The suggested holding your nose and blowing to pressurize your ears periodically as you went down and taking time and breathing naturally without holding your breath on the way back up. While most of us did not have a problem with this, for Tina it did not work out so smoothly and she felt it in her ears for a few days after the dive. Later when she took lessons in a pool back home and got certified for diving, she discovered what she had done wrong, which was not to have pressurized as often as she should on the way down. She said that she had not held her nose and blown as often as she should to build up the pressure on the inside of her head on the way down.
The third thing they instructed us to do was to be conscious always of our air supply and to check it once a minute or so not matter how interesting our surroundings were. They told us to prepare for a gradual assent even though we were only going to dive down thirty feet at the most. They suggested coming back up when we had about five minutes of air and to just let ourselves drift back upward as we breathed naturally. This seemed to work well of everyone. While deeper need to ascend and stop in stages to adjust things, in thirty feet of water you are much more concerned about equalizing air pressure in your breathing passages, sinses and ears. Divers who do deeper have the additional complication of needing to allow time for the oxygen pressures to stabilize in their blood streams or they risk the bends and dangerous damage caused by much higher pressure changes in their blood streams.
The fourth things they told us to do was to relax and to minimize our physical exertion. The crew members, who by the way actually were very competent, experienced, and enjoyable, told us that while the experience of diving would be new to us, it would be relatively short lived, if we moved around too much and too quickly. They told us that we would consume more air going down and getting adjusted, but that we should concentrate on calming ourselves down on the bottom and to breathe naturally, if not slowly.
They told us that some first timers do not necessarily panic with the new experience of diving compared to snorkeling, but that they treated the experience like they were swimming and snorkeling, which can consume a lot of air rather quickly. With diving they told us to put our arms back to our sides most of the time and to gently maneuver with our legs and fins. When I was on the bottom, I watched my air pressure gauge and noticed that I seemed to be using my air pretty quickly at first – however, it is difficult to tell because I was not using a watch to gauge the passage of time, as well. Anyway, I consciously tried to slow down and drift and move with my legs and fins, and it seemed like my heart rate slowed and my rate of air consumption seemed to slow.
I am sure that told us other things like how to adjust our buoyancy and how much we needed on our weight belts, but this further instruction gets fuzzy with the passage of time. Once we had are equipment on, we just sat of the edge of the boat and let ourselves fall backward into the water. Since Steven and I were larger than the women, we were able to stand upright with relative ease despite the diving tanks and weight belts, but the equipment was still pretty heavy. It felt a lot better after we sat on the side and fell backward into the water and started floating a bit.
Tina and Tabatha on the other hand found the diving equipment to be rather heavy and the found it better to put the weight belt on while standing and then sit down on one of the benches to put on the tanks. We all got assistance from the crew to get the tanks on. After their tanks and all other equipment were secured, the women just scooted along the fiberglass bench to the edge of the boat and fell backwards into the water. When they came back up a crew member pulled the equipment up for anyone who did not want to try to climb back into the boat with all this weight on their backs.
Once we were all in the water, we gradually let some air out of our vests and stopped floating and began to descend. We were to dive in groups of three or four per crew member accompanying us. We were told to pay attention to our group members and also to keep a sense of where the boat was. This was not always as straightforward, as it might seem. While the waters were very clear, the waves were gentle that day, and there was little turbulence in the water, you still can see clearly only so far under water. If you did not stray more a perhaps seventy five to a hundred yards horizontally then it was pretty easy to spot the anchor line and see the bottom of the boat. Any further and it would be dicey to know which was the correct direction back to the boat.
<< Go back to Part 2: Hawaiian Dive Boat
Snorkeling and Scuba Diving
- AB Biller Speargun (Purchase Discounted AB Biller Spearguns
After picking a AB Biller Spearguns picture below, you will go to an additional page which has all of the details to assist you to determine, if you need to purchase these discounted and high quality AB Biller speargun, AB Biller spearfishing gun, or AB Biller speargun equipment inventory specials.
Welcome to [...])
- Scuba Dive Sitemap ()
- Marine Safety Equipment (By selecting a Marine Safety Equipment photograph beneath, this action will open a separate page that has useful information to help you decide to buy these discounted plus attractive boat safety gear deals. We hope you like our Marine Safety Equipment and Boating Safety Equipment store. On this page you will find the personal flotation [...])
- Dive Rite Scuba Regulator (Find Discounted Dive Rite Scuba Regulators
When you click any Dive Rite Scuba Regulators photo here, you will automatically go to a separate article which has interesting details to help you to decide, if you would like to purchase these bargain priced and top quality Dive Rite dive regulator, diving regulator, or scuba diving regulator inventory [...])
- Scuba Dive BCD (There are wonders in the world that can only be explored underwater. As such, one has to take extra lengths to be able to see these magnificent creations. Scuba diving is the most effective means for an individual to enjoy these wonders.
This is one way of getting closer to nature like you have never done [...])
- Speargun (When you click any Spearguns snapshot lower down, we will take you to an additional page where you will find informative product information to get these wonderful and desirable speargun equipment bargains. We are glad that you have come to this Discount Scuba Diving Equipment and Snorkeling Gear preview showroom. Here you can get the [...])
- Forward Looking Sonar (You may always be looking for a partner to your water navigation experience yet this can be difficult if you do not have any idea of the product you should choose. However, this difficulty can be eliminated once you have read through features packed in such items. Therefore, if you are looking for such items, [...])
- Body Glove Snorkel Set (Purchase Discounted Body Glove Snorkel Set
If you pick any Body Glove Snorkel Set snapshot lower down, you will go to a different web page that contains interesting details to help you to decide, whether you want to get these discounted and top quality Body Glove snorkel set, snorkeling equipment, or snorkeling gear inventory specials.
We hope [...])
- 5-Preparing for Our Four Family Camping and Family Boat Trip (Preparing for Our Four Family Camping and Family Boating Trip
After about four weekends of this motorboat renovation project, we all knew that our boat renovation brainchild at the pizza parlor earlier that spring had been a real brainstorm among a bunch of early middle-aged white collar workers. We discussed among ourselves how we hoped that [...])
- Scuba Dive Purge Mask (Purchase Discounted Dive Purge Masks
If you pick any Dive Purge Masks photo lower down, you will be taken to a different web page where you will find interesting details to help you to determine, if you want to purchase these bargain priced and top quality purge scuba mask, snorkeling mask, or purge face mask sales [...])
- Cressi-Sub Dive Computer (Purchase Bargain Cressi-Sub Dive Computers
By selecting a Cressi-Sub Dive Computers snapshot underneath, we will take you to another article that contains informative product information to allow you to figure out, if you would like to get these discounted and top quality Cressi-Sub dive computer, scuba computer, or wrist dive computer sales deals.
Thanks for coming to [...])
- Suunto Diver Computer (You should consider the Suunto D9 dive computer when looking for quality scuba diving equipment that will help keep you safe underwater. We wish to provide you with useful information before you make your purchase, to help you make a well informed decision. The D9 has superior features and functions, even in its basic models. [...])
- Snorkel Set (As you choose a Snorkel Sets picture here, you will automatically go to a different web page that contains interesting details about how to buy these discounted plus attractive snorkeling equipment sets goods. We appreciate your patronage at our Discount Scuba Diving Equipment and Snorkeling Gear store salesroom. Here you can locate easily the snorkel [...])
- Ski Boat Seat (Water skiing is one of the most breath-taking water sports in the world. The speed of the boat dashing through the water, the splash of water damping the entire body, the air slapping on the face - everything seems so exciting. No one would want to miss that. If you enjoy water skiing and its [...])
- Scuba Diving Bali (What is usually a extra adventurous and fulfilling scuba diving trip expertise than live aboard luxury yacht cruising and scuba diving within the tropical islands of Bali? Contrary to what many scuba divers assume, live aboard scuba diving may not be as costly as you think. In fact if deliberate properly, stay on board diving [...])
- Fly Fishing (Important Beginner Fly Fishing GearYou will need other beginner fly fishing gear besides a fly fishing rod, fly fishing reel, and fly line in order to begin with the sport of fly fishing. This article gives an overview on the essential fly fishing tools and gear for the novice angler. Fly Fishing Flies An essential [...])
- Aluminum Boat Propeller (Boat propellers that are cheap, easy to install and offer an excellent straightforward method to repair any damage you may incur. You'll never should tote around another propeller in its entirety again. Boat propellers return in a dizzying array of sizes and configurations. Most outboard propellers work a explicit whole although the propeller size might [...])
- Frameless Dive Mask (Buy Bargain Frameless Dive Masks
If you pick any Frameless Dive Masks photo lower down, you will automatically go to an additional article that has interesting details to allow you to determine, if you want to acquire these bargain priced and excellent quality frameless scuba mask, snorkeling mask, or frameless face mask inventory specials.
Thanks for coming [...])
- Stainless Steel Dive Knife (Scuba diving is one of those recreational sports that must be taken seriously. If it is not then the chance of getting injured rises and you really don't want to hurt yourself or others around you, no? To begin with it's the second largest marine reserve in the world, UNESCO has named it a world [...])
- Scuba Diving Tank (If you pick any Scuba Diving Tanks photo here, you will be taken to a separate page that has useful information to help you decide to buy these discounted plus useful scuba dive tank choices. We appreciate your patronage at our Discount Scuba Diving Equipment and Snorkeling Gear store salesroom. On this page you will [...])